richman711

getting a bike licence?

Hi guys

Just wondering if there are any bikers on here that can offer some advice.

I keep having the though of getting a motorbike, nothing too extreme but some thing at least quick compared to cars

Any way, what's the process of getting my licence, so far I've worked out:

1. Do cbt so I can ride a 125cc (do I need to buy a bike just for the test or will they supply one)

2. Do bike theory

3. Do main test?

I belive that as I'm over 21 I can just jump on a big bike rather than waiting 2 years?

Cheers

I recently did my direct access (only two weeks ago)..

Yes, you need to do your cbt, then theory, then module one (off road manoeuvres) , then module two (on road element)..

I'm pretty sure any school offering tuition on the direct access would supply the bike to learn on.

I used a WK650i which is a Chinese v twin bike, and it definitely give me a bit of a thirst for more.

Last week I purchased a 2005 Honda Hornet 600, which is currently proving to be more than ample in the speed department!! I think it's just going to become harder, with more hoops to jump through to get the licence, which is why I wanted to get it done this summer.

P.s- I think the age for the direct access route is 24?

Edited by somersetdub

Hi

Ah so there's two sections to the main test? Out of interest how much did it cost?

I'm only 23 so guessing I would have to wait to go straight to a bigger bike, presume I could do my cbt and ride a 125cc until I'm 24 then do my full bike license?

Yeah two sections to the main test. I did them on different days because if you fail the first part and have pre-booked the second, you will lose your money adm not be able to take it.

I paid £140 for a whole day's riding to get used to the bigger bike (I had been riding a 125 for a year), then £100 each for two half days where I took the tests. I think the mod 1 costs around £40? The mod 2 around £70 iirc.

I'd definitely recommend getting a 125 for a year to get used to riding around and becoming smooth and fluent. Even if that doesn't prepare you fully for increasing the power almost 10 fold when getting on a bigger bike! Want to buy my 125? It's for sale!