delfinis38

Service record / diary

do you keep your own service record for you car ???

I don't mean the VW FSH record book and stamp you get from the garage....

but a personal one.... ie.... bought new brake pipes and fitted.... pumped tyres up..... changed X,Y Z...

am I the only one that does this ?

I keep receipts and write the date and mileage on them. My folder is silly thick. Also note down the spec as it changes. Nearly bought brake discs and pads using a website where you enter reg plate. Only to remember i had 288mm fitted.

I just keep the receipts for every part bought for the car, including sundries like bulbs & wiper-blades. It is reassuring for a potential future owner. I always like to see such items retained when purchasing, along with the usual garage receipts & stamps.

I once bought a car off a chap who kept all his petrol receipts to prove that he only ran it on high octane fuel!

I remember a friends dad buying a new integra type r and was so anal about it. He used to plot all the fuel fill ups and distance covered in his computer. Would take the wheels and bumpers off to wash the car.

I keep everything including the road tax reminders (when they were about).

Also, I have this little book that Chris started when he bought the car in 1996,

6affef3ae4d626439e41fdabbb3da20c.jpg

He has logged every journey from when he bought it

a87838d2635a771a0517f820fbfe27f3.jpg

Logged every bit of fuel he's put into it

2bde86641409c8102dcf639074030a1a.jpg

Kept a record of all the maintenance including winter storage and the dates he turned the engine over (no fuel pump relay)

3e875123c8096171f073344a2a93b5a0.jpg

And finally any faults and corrective actions

3ec531c187f464d4f1cd93a111a49bc8.jpg

I've got every receipt from purchase date, old tax discs and tax reminder letters.... I also started a log about 10 years ago but its not as well presented as the two chris's storm. must get round to sorted something out over the winter months.

I keep everything including the road tax reminders (when they were about).

Also, I have this little book that Chris started when he bought the car in 1996,

6affef3ae4d626439e41fdabbb3da20c.jpg

He has logged every journey from when he bought it

a87838d2635a771a0517f820fbfe27f3.jpg

Logged every bit of fuel he's put into it

2bde86641409c8102dcf639074030a1a.jpg

Kept a record of all the maintenance including winter storage and the dates he turned the engine over (no fuel pump relay)

3e875123c8096171f073344a2a93b5a0.jpg

And finally any faults and corrective actions

3ec531c187f464d4f1cd93a111a49bc8.jpg

Now that's impressive ... Don't think I have the patience .... Although I do keep all the receipts and add them to the folder started by previous owners

That is extremely impressive but its what a car of that caliber deserves I think, which is why its in good hands now too.

Mine was a bit sketchy before I took ownership, with just a few random receipts scattered over the years aside from the service book which also has a bit of a gap for a couple of years. I've since kept all receipts for work I've done obviously, but written a record when/what I've done with servicing and maintenance routines, and even kept a log of parts I've replaced with second hand bits and dates, just to build up a history to show the car is being looked after finally.

do you keep your own service record for you car ???

I don't mean the VW FSH record book and stamp you get from the garage....

but a personal one.... ie.... bought new brake pipes and fitted.... pumped tyres up..... changed X,Y Z...

am I the only one that does this ?

yes m8 I have a note on my phone which I regularly update whenever I do something to either VR or 16V & then I periodically print them out to put in the folder of receipts

I find it helps visualise what has been done & what might need doing in the future

I keep all receipts and car related paperwork. I used to stamp the VAG service book myself when I did an oil/filter/plug service about twice a year but that has run out now. I'm unlikely to be selling so not too bothered. It's mainly useful to have them if you are looking for an old part number.