bluefox1111

9a vs ABF: In the Real World?

Hey guys,

Toying with he idea of getting more power from our 9a. I'm taking the engine out as it is anyway, as I've got to do a load of gasket changes and wiring repairs - and as I've got the space and the tools it'll make my life a lot easier if I just take it out.

I looked into the idea of getting a few more horses from the 9a lump with the ABF manifolds, a 4 branch, etc etc, but I'm wondering if I'll just be better off putting an ABF in its place.

Has anyone done this, and if so, did you see any real terms gains? We live in Cornwall, so it's pretty hilly down here - it's torque I'm after not top end power.

I've searched through various threads on this and haven't really found much in the way of feedback post conversion, hence this thread.

Please help :)

Unfortunately there is little information available on tweaking the 9A as nobody really seems to bother - it was only introduced as a way to meet the emissions requirements post 1992 (ironic at the moment!).

ABF side however is a very different World, there has been much speculation that the ABF unit was de-tuned by VW to ensure a suitable gap between the 16v Golf GTi and the 2.8 VR. This has been backed up by real World ECU remapping of ABF which seem to consistently produce around 150 BHP and a sizeable increase in torque through the rev range too.

Can you get the same from a 9A? Possibly but the ECU management on the 9A is much cruder by comparison and you may not get the same results.

ABF was 150 bhp standard..........

Doh! Had a bit of brain fart this morning..

I meant 165bhp on just a remap; some tweaking of the exhaust, TB and a panel filter should see 175bhp with 125lb ft of torque usable from around 2500 rpm up to peak torque of 150 lb ft.

Which when you look at 2.8 VR figures that is a little too close for VWs comfort, same mods on a 2.9 VR might see around the 200 bhp figure at best and it has a head start over the 2.8 VR by 20 bhp.

the ABF bore/stroke was optimized for a high revving engine, they're great lumps, a better head and valvegear than the KR/9A, the capacity of the 9A but with the revvyness of the KR, a great set of high lift and duration cams as standard and the first proper FEI on a Vw 4 cylinder lump

cant go wrong with them, the mk3 16v was very underrated IMO and the seat cupras with the same engine were very nimble,

mk4 GTI turbo had no more power and a boring flat torque delivery from the turbo 20V

My daily drive is a mildly tuned 9a and I love it. Torque is not a problem despite having the 50mm intake and living in hilly Yorkshire.

You get 160-170hp from 9A with KR or ABF cams and good exhaust

Got both but doubt I'm getting that much.

You get 160-170hp from 9A with KR or ABF cams and good exhaust

Cams on an ABF with inlet, TB and exhaust tweaks should see closer to 190 bhp but will mess the torque curve around quite a bit.

An ABF 16vG60 is the choice I would make doing the conversion again but that is a hell of a lot more work and cost to get it functioning correctly.

As Dave W said, one of the reason the ABF consistently makes more performance than the 9A is that is a first 16v engine with VR levels of engine management sensors so fuel control is much more accurate.

An ABF 16vG60 is the choice I would make doing the conversion again but that is a hell of a lot more work and cost to get it functioning correctly.

Good old Ebay had a setup like this for sale recently. It suggested it was about 210 BHP.

Good old Ebay had a setup like this for sale recently. It suggested it was about 210 BHP.

Sounds a bit on the low side, the VW produced version was 211bhp on a 1.8 KR.

interesting additional photos!

The 3rd one caught my eye....I wasn't looking for Corrado bits ;)