Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

"oooOOOoohhhh, a Corrado eh"

Does anyone else get that reaction when you tell them what you drive?

I'm amazed that most people actually still know what one is these days!!

Are they really that exclusive? people still seem to act as though they are quite a flash car to own (even though you can pick them up for a grand).

Most of the people that I speak to that recognise the car are in their 30s and remember how much they were new, hence saying "Ooooh a Corrado, is it the V6 one?"

Young kids don't know what it is but seem to appreciate it none the less..... even with a roof rack on it :wink:

I'd still love to own one of the earliest possible 1.8 16v's in mint condition.. like F registered... just so I could say that my car was 16 years old and watch everyone make out that I was not telling the truth :)

My MOT inspector wasn't sure that my car was actually a J plate at the last MOT - he said "Hm - 1992? The condition of the car certainly hides that!!"

:)

must admit i'd love to own one of the original UK-launch/press ones especially in tornado red 8)

Ah, one of those went on Ebay not long ago.....as for the rest of the thread, refer to my signature too :roll: You can see them either knowing what you mean, or thinking either oh, a Cordoba, a Corrolla, or a Scirrocco. Worst I got was from a friend who always called it a Capri, just to wind me up. Female though, so she was allowed, just!

Surely they are all Tornado Pink by now? :lol:

A Campaign is what you really want for ultimate geekiness...mmm brick red leather.

Surely they are all Tornado Pink by now? :lol:

:lol:

COULSTAR The Scirocco thing is what I always get. Its great to go into work with an Hreg car (oldest car in the car park) and people only think its 5 or so years old. They always say "why drive an old car, it must be knackered?" BECAUSE NEW CARS BORE ME!!!

Just seen your post, spot on my sentiments exactly, get the same thing, 'why don't you get a new car'...answer, because i've driven them, and theyr'e dull, dull ,dull!

stictly speaking it is a mk3 scirocco....

......or a passat coupe......which is the favourite up this way with Golf owners :roll: :-P :-P

made up by corrado owners..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

...mmm brick red leather

suits me fine ;)

i had someone call mine a 'COLORADO'............no its a toyota 4x4 is tw*t

stictly speaking it is a mk3 scirocco....

......or a passat coupe......which is the favourite up this way with Golf owners :roll: :-P :-P

made up by corrado owners..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

suppose right enough glen could be classed as a C-owner...........afterall it was him that was first to call them passat coupes' up our way :-P ........though tbh i think he classes himself more of a Golf owner than a C owner :wink:

I've had "nice bodykit on yer scirocco mate looks like came fae the factory like that" Hee Hee just agreed didn't want to burst his bubble.

Mines completely de badged, I've had people stopping me while walking away from the car saying, "excuse me, what is your car??". "A Corrado" I say, to which he replies "What makes that then??" :roll:

I've given up now...

My better half's dad said upon seeing it for the first time 'Nice those Sciroccos, aren't they'?

Just said Yes. :roll:

Mind you suppose It's a good thing. Goes to prove how relativley rare they are.

As far as i know, theres only one other (a left hooker) in the whole of Skelmersdale.

Not a bad exclusivity statistic for a two grand motor! :) :D

I've given up now...

My better half's dad said upon seeing it for the first time 'Nice those Sciroccos, aren't they'?

Just said Yes. :roll:

Mind you suppose It's a good thing. Goes to prove how relativley rare they are.

As far as i know, theres only one other (a left hooker) in the whole of Skelmersdale.

Not a bad exclusivity statistic for a two grand motor! :) :D

won't beat an allegro tho :-P :p :-P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ......how many of them in skelmersdale then???

True in a way. Alough the Corrado and Scirroco were both manufactured side by side for 3 or 4 years. The Corrados body shape is based on the mk1 Scirocco. Next time you look at the mk1 Scirocco you look at the overall shape especially the rear side window.

The Mk1 Rocco was based on the Asso di Piche design study by Giugiaro (what later became Italdesign, who have also done loads of other interesting and less interesting cars, eg. the DeLorean as a good example of an interesting car :D ), who then was hired in by VW to design what is now known as the Mk1 Rocco and Mk1 Golf. In 1976 he then designed the Asso di Quadri (for BMW), upon which the Mk2 Rocco was loosely based (an in-house job by VW, although inspired by the Assi di Quadro, it was actually handed back to ItalDesign for mods before VW then finalised the design; this despite having asked ItalDesign to design the Mk2 Rocco and having rejected their original design - it still looked too much like the Mk1 Rocco but did address 2 design problems of the original Mk1: Headroom and boot space).

The Corrado was a complete in-house job at VW, led by Herbert Schäfer, and there are pictures proving that in fact it was to be a Mk3 Rocco(badge on rear saying Scirocco), until the production costs soared and the marketing boffins decided that the price difference to the Mk2 Rocco was going to be too big, and hence it would be a better idea to launch it as a completely new vehicle alongside the Mk2 Rocco with a new name. Then again, VW always wanted to make a "true" sports coupe, and after having pulled out of the Porsche 924 project in the 70s ...

Of course, Schäfer will always deny the similarity between the Mk1 Rocco and the Rado (even though the C-pillar is soooo identical) ...

Tempest (Mk1 Roccos rule all the way ... :lol: )