Jim

Bad day with cam install... think I found the reason.... FIXED & RUNNING.

Just to add to the mix could it be the worn sprockets on new chains?

Yeah I am considering the possibility that the oil pump could be to blame here... I was wondering if the thicker weight oil is amplifying the problem of it being a bit weedy and unable to pump it at a high enough pressure.

Just to clarify, pumps don't create pressure, they create flow. In other words, garden hose = pump. Your finger over the end = pressure. Move your finger over slightly, pressure drops, but flow increases.

So as Mic touched on, worn bearings can allow pressure to escape. It's all the tiny little holes in the engine castings and the bearing clearances that create your pressure. As engines wear out, pressure reduces. The pump has a built-in relief valve to protect against over pressurisation, but I've never seen a VR6 pump fail to meet the minimum requirements unless the strainer is blocked, or if the transfer pipe (pump to block) isn't fitted properly.

If you remove the oil cap with (Slowly) with the engine running and you see lots of oil sloshing about in there, I wouldn't worry too much about the pump, but worth a pressure check once Stealth get it.

Just to add to the mix could it be the worn sprockets on new chains?

Yeah saw on that on a couple of R32 engines. The intermediate sprocket's teeth got a bit out of shape and were pitted. VW improved the case hardening on later engines. Probably worth a look on the 12V too.

Jim, I'm not using my car at the moment so I could remove my vdo gauges and sender, send them to you and you could get an idea at least of pressure. Not saying they're 100% correct but might give an indication?

Hey mate - sorry - missed this post last night. Very kind of you to offer but I think I'll decline for two reasons.. 1 - I'd be afraid of damaging them somehow as I know they're rare and 2 - I'd probably want to keep them as I've wanted a set forever and ever!! :)

I'll just get an oil pressure check done with the traditional type of tool I think. But really appreciate the offer :)

If you remove the oil cap with (Slowly) with the engine running and you see lots of oil sloshing about in there, I wouldn't worry too much about the pump, but worth a pressure check once Stealth get it.

On that subject, have you checked out this vid? Someone running their rather poorly sounding VR6 without a cam cover at all!!

Yeah - the ticking on mine, I think, seems to come from the back left hand side though haven't done any stethoscopeing since putting it all back together.