Hisnibs

Quick turbo quiz

I'm pretty sure I'm going down the vrt route with stealth (if they're interested) so I'm busy prepping for if/when that day ever arises. I had an mot advisory on an exhaust leak so I thought I'd bite the bullet and replace the lot with a view to turbo.

Question is: how is the turbo fed off the exhaust?

I'm looking at the dual borla set up with either a supersprint header or a TT downpipe, what would futureproof things?

I realise this is a novice question, go easy :lol:

Thanks

Ross

Turbos are driven off the manifold itself. So everything down stream of there is fine. Personally a full system cat back with a sports cat will keep it flowing well without being too loud.

The entire NA exhaust will be ditched mate, the turbo has its own

Manifold and downpipe. The turbo is bolted onto the manifold's flange

Then the downpipe is connected to the turbine outlet of the turbocharger.

Have a look on the web for a few photos.

Remember, the entire exhaust is going to be replaced regardless so either make up your own or buy universal

Silencers or get a company to do it all at great expense..

Which reminds me, I've got a decent spare bottom end you could use..

Turbos are driven off the manifold itself. So everything down stream of there is fine. Personally a full system cat back with a sports cat will keep it flowing well without being too loud.

Thanks matey, did wonder if the aftermarket route would have a special turbo downpipe or some such.

How much power do you want? Any restrictions on an exhaust ds of your turbo will affect this.

Morning mate. I guess the 350-400 range would be peach. Something that'll take me to snap city ideally. Thought a 2.5" dual borla would cope with those numbers unless you know otherwise?

The entire NA exhaust will be ditched mate, the turbo has its own

Manifold and downpipe. The turbo is bolted onto the manifold's flange

Then the downpipe is connected to the turbine outlet of the turbocharger.

Have a look on the web for a few photos.

Remember, the entire exhaust is going to be replaced regardless so either make up your own or buy universal

Silencers or get a company to do it all at great expense..

Which reminds me, I've got a decent spare bottom end you could use..

Thanks for the details. My bottom end is in fine fettle thanks :]

Morning mate. I guess the 350-400 range would be peach. Something that'll take me to snap city ideally. Thought a 2.5" dual borla would cope with those numbers unless you know otherwise?

Speak to Vince about the best way forwards. From experience I had to sell my 2.5" catless system (piece of welded art) when it went to stealth for a T conversion.

That's not to say that you couldn't have something made up that will suit both N/A for your current set up & turbo when you get it done. Mine is a very simple system from the downpipe back basically being a 2.5" pipe running to the hole in the bumper (exhaust supplied by stealth). So by speccing it with Vince first you could future proof your new exhaust, as said of course the manifold & downpipe will need to be changed out when you go turbo but the rest is simply a drain pipe from the from to the back.

Speak to Vince about the best way forwards. From experience I had to sell my 2.5" catless system (piece of welded art) when it went to stealth for a T conversion.

That's not to say that you couldn't have something made up that will suit both N/A for your current set up & turbo when you get it done. Mine is a very simple system from the downpipe back basically being a 2.5" pipe running to the hole in the bumper (exhaust supplied by stealth). So by speccing it with Vince first you could future proof your new exhaust, as said of course the manifold & downpipe will need to be changed out when you go turbo but the rest is simply a drain pipe from the from to the back.

Bladdy hell, I was gonna be all over the techtonics website like a flannel come black friday... you've saved me many a poon'd. k2s it is then! Thank you sooooo much :]

yeah hibs probably best to wait to see what vince says I have a restrictive system and down on power quite a lot

Yeh, I'd like to, but I've never met him so don't want to pester him with the gazillion questions I've got buzzing round me noggin just yet. I need to get the kws sussed and hopefully I can book an allignment/spanish inquisition with him then.

What's your set up matey?

Yeh, I'd like to, but I've never met him so don't want to pester him with the gazillion questions I've got buzzing round me noggin just yet. I need to get the kws sussed and hopefully I can book an allignment/spanish inquisition with him then.

Please consider the residents as you boot it up the gyrotray system :)

Funnily enough I'm working on the gyratory tomorrow :)

Nothing like a nice bit of rorty enthusiasm at 2... in the afternoon. ahem

Quite a bit of spec mate GT35 with cams etc etc have a look at Verity build thread

I need to get a ride in a vrt. Got 2 engines sat in my garage just waiting to get the turbo treatment. I have to admit, I have a 2.25 inch exhaust system and it does feel a little restrictive, dunno if it's just me

Saaaweet, I'll have a nose. Should've inserted a *spoiler alert* for the gt35 though :grin:

Haha apologies mate

The thread is not totally up to date to be fair as started writing the full build but ended up not finishing it. Guessing this winter is an ideal time to do it!!!!!

Yep, I've been hankering after a spin for aeons. Bit concerned that it'll change the exhaust note for the worse, mind. I'm running a standard downpipe and it's intoxicating already! Really surprised the 2.5" set up chokes it a bit, was hoping for the subtlety of that plus the interstellar poke from mr garrett as n when. Puts me off that you'll need a saturn five-esque exhaust to liberate it. Don't want to ruin its classic charm and get all fast ford.

If you're worried about the TT dual borla, don't. Kev Bacon was running one at 400bhp without any issues.

I need to get a ride in a vrt. Got 2 engines sat in my garage just waiting to get the turbo treatment. I have to admit, I have a 2.25 inch exhaust system and it does feel a little restrictive, dunno if it's just me

me to mate. might inspire me to actually get on and make a decision about fitting mine!

to be fair a 2.5 will be ok but you need a clean run through without the 2 right angle bends

Vag hags sounds awesome thats for sure

to be fair a 2.5 will be ok but you need a clean run through without the 2 right angle bends

Vag hags sounds awesome thats for sure

Ah. Does it have any subtlety when you're not on it or is it a constant asbo-jaegermeister-magaluf-westhammy type noise?

Haha it ticks over class but when I have been with him it's usually on full chat!!!

Aaaaahahahaha :thumb right:

Thanks for the help matey

Ah. Does it have any subtlety when you're not on it or is it a constant asbo-jaegermeister-magaluf-westhammy type noise?

It's actually much quieter now than before.... Just goes like a stabbed rat

Haha it ticks over class but when I have been with him it's usually on full chat!!!

:lol: throttle is an on/off switch yeah?