ssaunders

Synchro to haldex

Hi all, I know this has been asked a thousand times so sorry!

Current situ is

Looks like I have fubar'do the current 6 speed quaife kit in the synchro turbo, so it's currently got a synchro drivetrain and quaife box (02a kit), what would I need to convert to haldex?

dutch build still do the mounting kit.

It's running a 4 bolt wheel setup currently, do I keep this or go back to 5?

I was looking at a wrecked mk1 TT and doing a swap, what do I keep? I may have an option on an 03 S3 can I use that as a donor?

All help gratefully received!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by ssaunders

Bump and current thinking.

options

repair current gearbox - £150 a gear,£350 for input shaft - dont know how many yet could be whole box - https://shop.quaife.co.uk/vag-6-speed-gearkits - £3000

225 plus vat for rebuild labour (quaiffe)

clutch £250

02M box - 400

transfer box - 150

rear diff - 300

clutch - £250

drive shafts?

rear diff mount - 250 euro

gearbox mounts\brackets - £130 - http://www.retrofication.co.uk/282mk202mmount.html

standalone haldex controller - http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/314:406:haldex-regulator-controler-valve

mechanical - 210 or 435 euro

electronic - 899 euro - http://www.crc-performance.com/index.php/4motion-umruestung1/haldaxsteuerung/professionel

also looking to include the strengthing kit for 02M

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/02m-02q-5th-6th-selector-fork-reinforcement-kit.html - £60

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/02m-02q-gearbox-4th-gear-input-shaft-support.html - £125

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/02m-02q-steel-selector-shifter-forks.html - £140

Why not have your current gearbox stripped and inspected by Stealth? I'd have thought it unlikely all gears would be damaged?

Hi, i love Vince to bits but am unlikely to use him this time, easier to go direct to Quaiffe. im thinking worst case here, i have spoken to Tim at the Phirm and he reckons the Diff exploded, i have no idea what damage this can cause but as there are 12 gears and 2 shafts it maybe expensive, could be thats its just one thats knackered but going on my current luck......

i was looking to do the haldex at sometime but the current issue may push me to do it earlier.

thanks for the input

steve

Edited by ssaunders

Whoever you use 2 hours labour to strip asses the damage would be worthwhile(presuming you can remove the gearbox yourself)? You may then be able to salvage some of what's left to sell on even if you do go the haldex route

Whoever you use 2 hours labour to strip asses the damage would be worthwhile(presuming you can remove the gearbox yourself)? You may then be able to salvage some of what's left to sell on even if you do go the haldex route

going to have to out source the removal as its a little beyond my skill level. good point about the salvage and re-sale, not sure how many of these kits have been sold so dont know if people would want the bits?

I was going to sell box and wheels to finance the Haldex but thats now not an option.

thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

cheers

steve

I think from memory Vince used to work for Gemini so I'd assume he knows his way round a gearbox pretty well. If you were thinking of flogging as spares or repair I might be interested depending on price.

I think from memory Vince used to work for Gemini so I'd assume he knows his way round a gearbox pretty well. If you were thinking of flogging as spares or repair I might be interested depending on price.

hi, i will let you know as i have an option on a MK4 4 Mo gear and transfer box, prop and rear frame with diff for £250. which is a 3rd of what i was looking at paying.

anyone confirm or deny if its worth doing the Darkside strengthening stuff?

cheers

steve

I wouldn't bother around the 400hp mark. The 4Mo gearbox is reputed to be the strongest O2M, but they all have the same inherent weaknesses. I wouldn't overly concern yourself with it tbh because it's just the 1/4 mile launching people, or big boost folk that break them.

Going Haldex can be quite a mission. Might be cheaper to fix what you've got. If it was just the diff that exploded (assuming a standard one), you can get away with sticking a new one in (with bolted crownwheel) and a new casing. The gear shafts might be OK.

Regarding the SQS Haldex controller, you'd want the MHRB variant so you can disengage the Haldex clutch at will. If you leave it on permanently, it will be bind up on full lock at slow speeds and under steer will be pretty bad.

I wouldn't bother around the 400hp mark. The 4Mo gearbox is reputed to be the strongest O2M, but they all have the same inherent weaknesses. I wouldn't overly concern yourself with it tbh because it's just the 1/4 mile launching people, or big boost folk that break them.

Going Haldex can be quite a mission. Might be cheaper to fix what you've got. If it was just the diff that exploded (assuming a standard one), you can get away with sticking a new one in (with bolted crownwheel) and a new casing. The gear shafts might be OK.

Regarding the SQS Haldex controller, you'd want the MHRB variant so you can disengage the Haldex clutch at will. If you leave it on permanently, it will be bind up on full lock at slow speeds and under steer will be pretty bad.

Hi, when you say a mission how so? i thought most of the major fabrication would have been done when it was synchro'd? i can see that it needs front mount moved and the dutch build kit for hanging the rear diff, what else apart from shafts and CV's?

if i can get a deal on the 4mo stuff then it will be the electronic controller.

i did want to up the HP in the future hence the haldex upgrade for future proofing, currently limited to 336hp @ 14psi due to me getting the idea that the synchro stuff wont handle much more.

cheers

steve

Edited by ssaunders

I'm working on a electronic controller project at the moment which I may produce a small run of if it proves successful. Should be a good bit cheaper than the Dutch fun one. Going to be a couple of months till I finish my conversion and can get it tested though.

I'm working on a electronic controller project at the moment which I may produce a small run of if it proves successful. Should be a good bit cheaper than the Dutch fun one. Going to be a couple of months till I finish my conversion and can get it tested though.

Sounds good, what sort of functionality will it have?

i have been looking at this one as well

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1384577125096256&id=1384569365097032

it will replace my boost gauge as well.

can anyone give me an idea of what else is needed? the car is currently running 4 bolt hubs and i am guessing the running gear was from a MK2 synchro so i will be looking at cut down shafts but unsure of which.

would it be better to go back to 5 stud?

also the shifter box? i read somewhere a polo one will fit, which model.

thanks for bearing with a Noob.

cheers

steve

Hi All, can anyone tell me if any Mk4 shifter will connect to a 02M Box? is there any difference between the 5 and 6 speed?

cheers

steve

Ok bit the bullet and got a mk4 5 speed shift tower, looking on other threads it seems if you fit these bits the tower will fit

6N0 711 061A shifter

6N0 711 090A base plate

6N0 711 611C shifter arm

Can anyone confirm this will still work on a 02M box as most threads refer to a 02j?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by ssaunders