Sign in to follow this  
cliveyp

Ooooh, a magazine shoot!!

Tomorrow is the day!! Off "darn sarf" (well, it is for me anyway) for a shoot for Used Car Buyer magazine. They are doing a group test with a Porsche 944, Fiat 20V Turbo Coupe, Alfa GTV V6 and the Corrado. Should be a good day out, just hope it gets the credit it deserves! 8)

ahhh so you were the lucky one :wink: ..........i was offered the chance with mine......til they found out i was just a tad north of the watford gap :roll: :D

ahhhh nice one mate good luck im sure the raddo will come tops!!! well if they no whats good for them 8)

Yeah you better have your forum stickers on prominent display... which is a good point, I can actually put them on my C now I've got one :lol:

eerrrrrrmmmmm, haven't actually got any forum stickers, sorry guys.......

Will make sure it's mentioned though!! 8)

make sure you let us know how it goes.... although personally I think the Alfa will win...

But let us know when we can read it as a mate hear at work also has a GTV V6...

many people have told me that the Fiat is the only contender really. I've got no idea as i've not really looked at any reports for any of them, make it more of a surprise for me!!

many people have told me that the Fiat is the only contender really. I've got no idea as i've not really looked at any reports for any of them, make it more of a surprise for me!!

the Fiat 20v turbo WILL leave the VR for dead i'm afraid to say........but in the twisties its a diferent story........tbh if its a 944 S2 thats used then that IMHO will be the one to watch

I reckon the Fiat will get it on sheer pace, 944 for build quality, Alfa for characterful engine and Corrado for handling!

I reckon the Fiat will get it on sheer pace, 944 for build quality, Alfa for characterful engine and Corrado for handling!

Corrado better handler than a 944??

Depends what 944. The S2 and 968 clubsports will eat a Corrado on handling but the common-or-garden 2.5 Normally aspirated one....nah.

I hope you've got a good 'un Clive, don't let the side down! hopefully the fiat and the alfa will be shagged out examples :lol:

well, the Alfa ( a Y plate GTV V6 Cup) was absolutely spanking! IMO gorgeous car, but heard a lot about the handling from the feature writer. The Fiat (also a spanking example on a V plate) wasn't quite so pretty, but definately quick, as i found up the A1M on the way back. Both made my old M plate look long in the tooth, but to be honest i think it tended to hold it's own. The 944 was an S2, and IMO not the best example. Nice car though. The way they were driven yesterday was more of an idea of seating position etc, as past reviews of each car give them details on handling. Be interesting to see whats said about it when it's published as i didn't ask too many questions so as to have a (hopefully) nice surprise when i read it. It's in the September issue which is on the shelves around 12th August. 8)

Well bear in mind that your Corrado is no spring chicken when compared to reasonably new V plate examples of those cars.. still, I don't see how the Corrado can get a bad review, as it just never does! Its always been one of the motoring journo's favourites :)

Y plate!!! that's not fair, that's far too new to compare to a 10 year old car.

I guess the ranking all depends on what the genreal purpose of the feature was.

didn't you have a handling track to go round or anything like that?

I wont be buying it. Well and truely pissed off as they pretty much had me set up to do and and just didn't confirm or cancel. Fortunately I hadn't booked any time off work.

Phill

Will probably have a quick look in the library...erm WH Smiths though.

i must admit, i thought there was something not right about comparing a Y plated GTV with an M plated C. But, to be honest, the point of the feature was to compare Coupes that are available for around 7k. The Fiat seems readily available for around 5-6k for a 98/99 model, the GTV V6 just doesn't seem to exist much below 10k, the 944 around 6-7k and the Corrado for 4-6k for a not too bad example. IMO the Alfa shouldn't have been there........

BUT, as they said to us yesterday, they like to compare things like this, as originally (dure to years of manufacture/original price etc) they would not have originally been competitors, but in the secondhand market they are. It'll be nice to see how the old designs compare with the newer boys. 8)

Phil - Were you supposed to be doing the shoot then???

Rodders - Just realised, you're just north of Watford Gap and they didn't want you to do it??? I'm a little bit further away than that, probably twice as far, and they don't seem to be argueing that!! Odd!

cliveyp, rodders was being a touch sarcastic about his location... (he's in Aberdeen, Scotland! ;) )

The Alfa GTV V6 is a no better car than a decent VR6 ... mark my words - my workmate has just bought one here at work and we 'compared' like with like - they are both very similar in terms of performance with the VR6 reaching 60mph 0.2 secs faster but 1/4 mile times are the same (15.1)

The VR6 has a shorter wheelbase too and handles better am told....

I reckon the VR6 will do fine against the others although I think the S2 will win it overall then the VR6...

cliveyp, rodders was being a touch sarcastic about his location... (he's in Aberdeen, Scotland! ;) )

yip sorry cliveyp...........as henny says it was my wee touch of sarcasm :twisted: ......hope you enjoyed yourself tho......and i'm looking forward to seeing a C in the mag.........btw did you manage to give the forum a nice big plug?????? :wink: