Alfagtman

Engine cut out.

So yesterday my Corrado just stopped - as in the engine just cut out. No spluttering or anything fancy like that just driving along and silence. Been driving great up until then with no hint of trouble. Got it towed back to the house but mechanic says there is no power going to the coil but he won't look at it until the new year. Thinking it must be some sensor or relay as it was so sudden. Any suggestions?

Certainly sounds electrical. Start with checking all plugs are seated in the fuse box properly and the retaining bar is pushed home. Also check ECU pins and plug to ensure nothing is amiss, and give it a good vast over with electrical contact cleaner. Could also be an earth problem so check all points and straps are intact, and give em a wire brush and blast with wd 40. I assume it's cranking ok?

Edited by seanl82

At least you know that the problem is from the coil back to the fuse box . As Sean says really , check everything from there back .

So got my Corrado fixed - the technical description given to me by the excellent Polish mechanic went right over my head so am not sure what he was on about but now another fault detected - a water leak. It seems to be coming from this plastic unit where it joins the engine block. I seem to recall a similar fault occurring in my Golf GTi - what is the name of this unit - some thermostat housing I think?

20160123_153201_zpsyrz7ibtf.jpg

20160123_153145_zpsbcisew8u.jpg

Its the temperature sensor housing. It will have a rubber O'ring in the end that has perished / broken. The sensors themselves also have rubber O'rings too. Check the housing for cracks and damage while its off.

Thanks - anybody know where I can buy this part - not sure if they are still available at the VW dealers. They are a part that go frequently as I gather from viewing a few threads on the subject on this site but none of them mentioned where I could get the part. I wish to replace the entire unit rather than be fiddling around with separate O rings.

Is there a specific part No for the G60. I know the G60 engine operates at a higher temperature than other Corrado engines?