MZpog

Slippery when wet

My alternator and power steering v belts don't seem to last very long on my early valver and when its very wet (as it often is) they occasionally suffer from slippage which results in a drop in voltage or on/off power steering, depending on which slips.

Before replacing them again, I was wondering if its possible/easy and what's involved to upgrade them to a toothed belt system which I believe is found on later valvers?

hi m8

I had an issue with my valver power steering belt - occasionally slipping & causing very heavy steering

issue was found to be the pulley wheel on the power steering pump, it was deformed in its circularity & causing the belt to be chewed slowly & as such random slipping

replaced the pulley wheel & it has been ok since

hi m8

I had an issue with my valver power steering belt - occasionally slipping & causing very heavy steering

issue was found to be the pulley wheel on the power steering pump, it was deformed in its circularity & causing the belt to be chewed slowly & as such random slipping

replaced the pulley wheel & it has been ok since

Thanks, I'll have a look at it but I'm sure it's ok and it only happens when wet.

How is your tensioner gear? Is it just slackening off a bit when under tension where the gear teeth are worn, so only noticeable when wet maybe......?

How is your tensioner gear? Is it just slackening off a bit when under tension where the gear teeth are worn, so only noticeable when wet maybe......?

Tensioner gear, teeth? Not sure what you mean. I recall there being a bolt to tighten to increase belt tension.

Thats the one, there should be teeth on it that mesh with teeth on a bracket to create the tension. If the teeth are knackered its possible the bolt is slipping back down a bit. Just a thought.