Olivernuttall

Millage discrepancy

Hello. Im new to this forum, this is my frist post.

I'm looking to invest in a 16v. I did a hpi check and the millage dropped by nearly 50, 000 miles in 2011. Can millage be tampered with? Is the a problem that anyone has come across?

Probably changed the speedo for a second hand one, unless it's a concours low miler I'd be more interested in the general condition and body than the numbers on the dash

Oh and welcome by the way!

David is right, there that old now as long as the condition is Ok I wouldn't worry, more than likely it's had a replacement dash as he's said.

Going to view one on Friday. Any tips on what to look out for? I believe it has the common fault that seems to crop up online a lot with the sunroof not working correctly. Also it was running rough and someone disconnected a sensor which seemed to sort the problem? Any ideas what that is about? I'm guessing a replacement sensor would solve this?

Look in the WIKI there is a buying guide in there that's really good!

Sunroof like you say, general rust a round the jacking points and filler cap. Poor idle issues are really common (trust me I know)and ABS issues are also common and an MOT fail so make sure you check.

Really strong cars really compared to other makes so if the body and engine are strong you should be alright.

In terms of mileage old MOTs are the only way to go, you can also access all old MOT information from when the switched to digital MOTs (2005) from here: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

You only need the reg number and vehicle make now.

Edited by Yandards

Even MOT's don't tell the full story. My engine was rebuilt about 60K ago, but that isn't reflected in the mileage.

In terms of mileage old MOTs are the only way to go, you can also access all old MOT information from when the switched to digital MOTs (2005) from here: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

You only need the reg number and vehicle make now.

good link I like that Yandards thank you

I have anice little print out for each rado now & has proven the mileage on the valver is genuine (the large history file I originally had for it was lost when I brought it back)

Even MOT's don't tell the full story. My engine was rebuilt about 60K ago, but that isn't reflected in the mileage.

Agreed but in terms of looking for discrepancies with replacement instrument clusters, potential clocking issues and any advisories on previous MOTs it is very helpful.

At the end of the day an old second hand car is just that, even a full dealer service history can be faked with little effort and even when they have been in the dealer it is no guarantee the work has been done.

A friends VR he had back in 2006 came with a full VW service history and had supposedly has a brake fluid replacement less than 2000 miles and 6 months prior - both rear bleed nipples were seized and rusted up and the fluid that came out into a jar was half black..

Wow, thats err, pretty shocking! Looks like it had been sat in a river for about a year!

Passed its MOT 20 Jan, pics taken 30 Mar. Ebay purchase, drove the van 200 miles to home, the brake pedal pulsed violently inch or so every time I pressed it, the guy used to drive his kids around in it too.

Full history, serviced every year lol

4042d9c0c8ecf9e697ee05a36c1b51d4.jpg

27e6b9a96fc359440b61e12e292f560c.jpg

45e2289522e806e2d658737901c8584e.jpg

Brake fluid

537e27f5a98bcacb58cbbc21704ba787.jpg

I can't see the problem - looks great lol

He probably got it serviced by someone at halfrauds if it's in that state