petemcr

Any Old School Alarm fitters?

Hey everyone,

Is there any one here who knows about after market fitted alarms from back in the day, my Corrado was fitted with an after market alarm, I can't tell you what make it is, I have a picture of the box that was fitted if it helps, but I lost the key for it a while back, the car hasn't been on the road for a while so I had a friend who's "thactham approved" try to remove it.

It's seriously a mess now, managed to get the normal electrics sorted so the sun roof/dash/usual stuff now comes on, partly caused by a dicky ignition switch which I've replaced, but now when you turn the key on it doesn't appear to prime the fuel pump and no voltage to the ECU by the looks of it, 109 relay is working but I've ordered a new one just to be on the safe side.

Anyone know where they would have cut in to the loom to stop this, the ignition live at the fuse box had been cut, pretty sure it's thatcham so there must be another cut somewhere.

Would have been easier to trace all wiring from the control module back, and removed it where its spliced in.

They are generally fitted behind the glove box/passenger undertray, or behind the centre console. If you can see nothing around the fuse box area, check around there. Trouble is that if the car has been off the road for a while and not started, it could be an unrelated issue. Best off just checking and/or replacing as much of the wiring and looms as possible.

Cheers for the info,

This is partly the problem, some work had been completed before this happened tbh so it was having starting issues, but you can tell there's nothing getting power so it's probably going to be best to get this sorted first and then when I know everything is working again can look at other issues.

Thanks for the info though, I've been told it will more than likely be behind the dash somewhere but also told it could be down the side, again I didn't remove it so I had no idea where the wires went, tempted to get an auto spark to have a look but I know it will cost me if I go that route.

Can anyone tell me, if worst comes to worst and I'm sure it won't get to that, but is it possible/fairly easy to swap out the loom that will no doubt be done for?

Thinking worst case scenario

As long as you get one from the same year and model, its pretty straight forward. You're best off removing the dash though as its easy to run everything with it out.

I'd planned to take the dash out anyways to try and locate where they've cut the loom so if it's still not having it then I might try and source a new loom, which will be fun in itself

I replaced almost every loom on my car last year due to a history of severe botch jobs. Just be meticulous in labelling your old looms at the connectors, taking loads of photos for reference, and look at this: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjh3afJmfDKAhXCZw8KHfn4D9AQFggfMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.a2resource.com%2Felectrical%2FCE2.html&usg=AFQjCNE0Xl3oi6z65qAWFzrR676wP6zb6w&sig2=5h_x14qD3rvpDkQz5BT0Vg&bvm=bv.113943164,d.ZWU

All the wires should be the same colour/strike if from the same year and model, so when you remove the old ones you can cross reference which plug goes where, and label the new one and fit it straight in without hassle.

Getting it all tidy behind the fusebox is a challenge especially when its been so disturbed in the past, but it do-able.

I have seen the rats nest of wires pushed back behind that fuse box already, not something I care to go disturbing but I guess if I have to I have to, I'll see how it goes finding this cut wire and if no joy then I will prepare for the battle ahead

I'll second the 'take the dash out'. It gives you soooo much room that you'll probably be able to find and resolve the problem without a full loom swap. And its only a couple of hours to get it out. Good luck

I was always under the impression that a certain length of loom had to be removed when fitting any of these alarms to the Thatcham spec - precisely to stop it being removed by snipping out the box and splicing the wires back together. You may find there's a good chunk missing, which won't be helping!

Aftermarket alarms are a horrible thing to patch around, I'd personally be twmpted ro go straight for ripping out and replacing the whole loom but it's obviously a big job. I was very lucky - when mine failed it left the car functional. The only remaining feature was a brief, ear-splitting squeal from the alarm wheneved the battery was disconnected :lol:

Stone

You're probably right, but I don't think I've ever come across that - EVER! They're usually just spliced in where fitters can find easy access, then twisted onto the existing loom and covered with electrical tape! For the more thorough fitter, they're soldered on.

It has since I first got the car, been a mess in terms of the alarm and immobilizer, to the point where it came with a fob, that could arm the alarm which was a Gemini unit, but didn't do anything with the central locking and wouldn't go off when you opened the doors, had a leaflet with the car for a Thactcham 2 alarm, which doesn't exist, I hate 90's alarms.

Kicker of it all is, I'm going to be removing it and then when she's back on the road, more than likely, be getting another one fitted but I need to get it removed first so I can sort out a running issue. One circuit was isolated as well, one located behind the dash and they had cut the wires back pretty far, so a full length of wire had to be replaced, so I'm expecting the same.

So much joy, would be nice if I could just be happy with my Golf instead and just sell the Corrado on but I can't bring myself to do it.

So, could someone just verify something for me as I've not driven the car in over a year, when you turn the ignition on you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime shouldn't you? and the 109 relay should click?