cmalyan

Uprated Headlight Loom

Hey all,

Apologies, I know this has been discussed countless times but I can't seem to locate an answer...

Since using an uprated headlight loom, I've been unable to use my sidelights (dipped and full beam work fine) I've located the dim dip coil which the yellow and yellow/black wires are connected to it with spade connectors but on the other end they are connected via a yellow plug, so disconnected the plug. This only seemed to stop my full beam from working?!

Would anyone have any other suggestions? I've got my MOT today,so just disconnected the whole loom for the time being :)

Thanks!!

hi m8

I am unsure from your description

the yellow connector block you mention is the dim dip part which you need to disconnect from each other (ie pull apart) & then tape up to isolate

there shouldn't be anything connecting to that block or the wires which feed it

the uprated loom wiring should fee into the back of both headlights & then have one wire each side which reconnects into the original loom or headlight plug

hi m8

I am unsure from your description

the yellow connector block you mention is the dim dip part which you need to disconnect from each other (ie pull apart) & then tape up to isolate

there shouldn't be anything connecting to that block or the wires which feed it

the uprated loom wiring should fee into the back of both headlights & then have one wire each side which reconnects into the original loom or headlight plug

Thanks - I was referring to the coil bolted to passenger side wing - this has the yellow, yellow/black wires going to them (but I didn't touch that in the end! just disconnected the connector block)

I'll have a look when it's back from the MOT - it failed on rear wheel bearings, which were only replaced in August, so they are just checking them for me!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83249[/ATTACH]

Thanks - I was referring to the coil bolted to passenger side wing - this has the yellow, yellow/black wires going to them (but I didn't touch that in the end! just disconnected the connector block)

I'll have a look when it's back from the MOT - it failed on rear wheel bearings, which were only replaced in August, so they are just checking them for me!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83249[/ATTACH]

oh I see now - I have never noticed that black part before

yes just disconnect the 2 halves of the yellow connector & tape each end up

Corrado back from passing its MOT - apparently the rear bearings needed 'winding in'?!:scratch:

Anyway back to the lights - so there seems to be something a bit more funky going on. Without the loom being plugged in, when pressing the brakes without the lights on, the drivers side dipped beam comes on along with the brake lights?!!

The only thing I can relate it to is when I got my alarm installed last year, only the drivers side indicator flashes when enabling/disabling the alarm. I did call the installer at the time and he promised to come back to sort out.....but never did :)

Has anyone else had a similar issue or could this be related to the alarm?

Thanks!

Think this might be due to wrong rear bulbs fitted, as when I disconnect the rear drivers light cluster, the sidelight doesn't come on when braking!

I've just ordered 6 new bulbs to replace all the rear ones as none of them seem to be the correct ones (either 380 or 382) so hopefully this will resolve the issue....

Just rewiring my loom but not clear on the number of wires and the sidelights. Are there just two wires to the driver's side and four to the passenger side? I've cut off the connectors so can join the wiring as necessary.

Mine is a two relay model

Edited by fla

Just rewiring my loom but not clear on the number of wires and the sidelights. Are there just two wires to the driver's side and four to the passenger side? I've cut off the connectors so can join the wiring as necessary.

Mine is a two relay model

hi hasan

i have 3 relay version on both my rados' but i believe there should be 4 wires each side for each headlight - yellow, grey, brown & white

i have a pic of the headlight rear connector with the wires plugged in if you want me to post it for you

IIRC there is then also a 'tail' wire on each side which needs to plug back into respective colour socket on the factory loom

was yours from Ryan Automotive? (i know there made 2 relay versions) if yes, they should be able to send you a diagram

that would be great. No this was one that i bought from ebay several years back and then modified myself. But i spliced into the existing loom rather than getting some separate headlight connectors. Ideally i'd want to wire as an independent loom to plug in directly rather than a spliced-in one.

Would you have a diagram to show where the other two wires for the loom should be wired? On mine they are connected directly to the feed for the original loom.

that would be great. No this was one that i bought from ebay several years back and then modified myself. But i spliced into the existing loom rather than getting some separate headlight connectors. Ideally i'd want to wire as an independent loom to plug in directly rather than a spliced-in one.

Would you have a diagram to show where the other two wires for the loom should be wired? On mine they are connected directly to the feed for the original loom.

ok Hasan - i can do better than that i think lol

just remembered i put a full write up with pics on my build thread when i installed the valver uprated loom - that saves much typing & uploading images for this kind of event :)

take a look here m8 http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?44751-g0ldf1ng3r-s-VR6-amp-1-8-16V/page25&highlight=g0ldf1ng3r it should take you to page 25 of the thread

from reading what i had typed in it it should negate the need for a guide.

the description is very detailed & you can see the factory wiring colours in Pic 1

you can then see how the new loom loops back into the factory one in Pic 4 - i was wrong in my previous post, the drivers side has 8 connections - 4 go into the back of the headlight & 4 go back into the OEM connector which was unplugged (makes sense really)

you can then just about make out the passenger side 'tail' wire i mentioned previously in Pic 9, which is a single wire to link back into the disconnected passenger factory plug

hopefully that will get you running but any questions just shout :)

yes thats great many thanks. Clever way of doing it which eliminates cutting the old connectors. As i've already cut mine, i'll put some insulated spades on them to feed in to the loom. You wouldn't by any chance have some pics of the physical layout of the ends of the loom at all would you, showing the relative lengths of the wires from the relays?

I've put mine in a box which was on the side of the battery, but the wiring was slightly tight on one side. I would have rather fed the power leads on one side of the battery for neatness rather than each side.

lad that helps m8 - good luck in sorting it

unfortunately i dont have anything that would have the cable lengths etc

you could try sending KUR2Y on here a PM. he made the 3 looms i have used, one was on the gf's storm, & is a nice chap who might send you that info

he had a thread in suppliers section for his looms but the last i spoke to him he was in & out of the country

Getting there...I'll be adding some spades to the feed loom and rerouting the loom from the box to make the wires clearly separated. Will post some pics shortly which I hope helps others. Thanks for your help so far Goldfinger ;)

Getting there...I'll be adding some spades to the feed loom and rerouting the loom from the box to make the wires clearly separated. Will post some pics shortly which I hope helps others. Thanks for your help so far Goldfinger ;)

sounds a good plan fella

no problem for the assistance, i like to be able to contribute as i have received lots of help off here too

this forum really is blessed with very generous & helpful members :)