SR_Neale

knocking noise when accelerating

Hi all. My G60 seems to have developed a intermittent fault. I am getting a knocking noise but not sure where it is coming from it only happens when accelerating and if I tame my foot off the accelerator the knocking noise stops so I think that would rule out anything lose rattling as the noise would be constant not just under acceleration. As mentioned the problem is intermittent. Anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions as to where to start looking?

Is the noise there when you are stationary and rev the car? If not it could be a cv joint, engine mount, steering joints / bushes etc most importantly check the charger is all good. Dont know if these will be the problem but if it was me i would be checking these first.

Good luck hope it's something simple.

Edited by Ray1965

Does it happen if you rev the motor with it stationary? Or does it only happen, under load, when the car is actually moving?

Does it happen if you rev the motor with it stationary? Or does it only happen, under load, when the car is actually moving?

Exactly that.

lol which one?

the 1st or 2nd ;)

bloody new phone posted my reply before i had a chance to finish writing. the noise is only there when moving under load if i lift off the accelerator and coast at same speed the noise goes.

bloody new phone posted my reply before i had a chance to finish writing. the noise is only there when moving under load if i lift off the accelerator and coast at same speed the noise goes.

you gotta love this new fandangled technology eh

quite who's idea it was to put the send button so close to they keyboard I have no clue lol

if as you say the noise goes when coasting could it be engine mount maybe

I have heard someone mention whilst stationary get a friend to press the accelerator whilst you watch the engine under the hood for any movement

I think in the VR for example if the front engine mount is gone you can see the inlet mani lifting & lowering - which could possibly make a knock with each up & down

you gotta love this new fandangled technology eh

quite who's idea it was to put the send button so close to they keyboard I have no clue lol

if as you say the noise goes when coasting could it be engine mount maybe

I have heard someone mention whilst stationary get a friend to press the accelerator whilst you watch the engine under the hood for any movement

I think in the VR for example if the front engine mount is gone you can see the inlet mani lifting & lowering - which could possibly make a knock with each up & down

I will give that a go first as quite a simple test. I belive the previous owner had the front mount changed to solid one by jmr before I bought her. but worth having a look anyway. The problem i have is that it only makes noise on the move so very difficult to pinpoint problem when sitting on a ramp and it only happens every now and then. Took her out today and no noise what so ever. Strange.

Yeah it must be movement of the engine down to a bad mount which is causing something to move and subsequently catch somewhere.

Will give the mounts a good check over tomorrow luckily it came with original mount so if it is that causing the problem I can get it sorted. I was worried that it might have been the gear box. fingers crossed for dodgy mount. cheers guys.

Is there not a vibration damper on one of the driveshafts? This can come loose over time and move along the shaft. Might be worth a look.

I will give that a go first as quite a simple test. I belive the previous owner had the front mount changed to solid one by jmr before I bought her. but worth having a look anyway. The problem i have is that it only makes noise on the move so very difficult to pinpoint problem when sitting on a ramp and it only happens every now and then. Took her out today and no noise what so ever. Strange.

intermittent faults - you gotta hate them!

our rado's somehow fixing said intermittent faults however I do love! lol

typical that you had no noise on the last journey. i have always found my VR has a funny habit of something stopping working for a while & then just as i get round to having a look why it bloody works again!

latest example being - heated seat drivers side in the VR - ever since i have had it it has always had times when the relay would jib out & buzz like crazy. a few weeks ago i started hunting for a relay or a fix. discussed on this forum in a thread & wouldn't you know ever since the buzzing hasn't happened again. toasty bum in cold weather i will not moan at but who knows why it has started behaving

did you manage to find anything over the weekend m8?

intermittent faults - you gotta hate them!

our rado's somehow fixing said intermittent faults however I do love! lol

typical that you had no noise on the last journey. i have always found my VR has a funny habit of something stopping working for a while & then just as i get round to having a look why it bloody works again!

latest example being - heated seat drivers side in the VR - ever since i have had it it has always had times when the relay would jib out & buzz like crazy. a few weeks ago i started hunting for a relay or a fix. discussed on this forum in a thread & wouldn't you know ever since the buzzing hasn't happened again. toasty bum in cold weather i will not moan at but who knows why it has started behaving

did you manage to find anything over the weekend m8?

I haven't had a chance yet. The in laws were round for mothers day so that meant tidy everything up. Also starting a new job next Monday so having to sort all that out as well. I need a 48 hour day and I still wouldn't have enough time. I may have found away of replicating it by pulling away on steap slopes.

I haven't had a chance yet. The in laws were round for mothers day so that meant tidy everything up. Also starting a new job next Monday so having to sort all that out as well. I need a 48 hour day and I still wouldn't have enough time. I may have found away of replicating it by pulling away on steap slopes.

time goes so fast when outside of work but then sloooooows down during work hours

i constantly run out of time on the weekends & juggling refurbing my house along with 2 rado's i could do with 6 months off work lol

hopefully you can get some testing done soon

new job, congratulations - a good one i hope :)

time goes so fast when outside of work but then sloooooows down during work hours

i constantly run out of time on the weekends & juggling refurbing my house along with 2 rado's i could do with 6 months off work lol

hopefully you can get some testing done soon

new job, congratulations - a good one i hope :)

Back to playing with cars all day long as a strip fitter. Nice and close to home too so result all round.

Back to playing with cars all day long as a strip fitter. Nice and close to home too so result all round.

cool - playing with cars & getting paid to do it sounds fun!

out of interest, what does a 'strip fitter' do?

is it stip stuff out & then fit other stuff in? lol

Not quite. When a car has an accident its my job to remove all MET (mechanical/electrical/trim) that needs to come off which could be as little as a headlight or in some cases the whole interior or all the exterior trim etc etc. Then the car moves onto the hairy arsed panel beaters they will bang out dents to replace new panels. Depending on type of body shop they will also do the filler work but some have prepers who will do the filler work,prime and flat work, then into a booth where the painter works their magic. Then its off for a flat and polish. Next up for a valet before coming back to me to bolt everything back on. Then back to happy customer.

Not quite. When a car has an accident its my job to remove all MET (mechanical/electrical/trim) that needs to come off which could be as little as a headlight or in some cases the whole interior or all the exterior trim etc etc. Then the car moves onto the hairy arsed panel beaters they will bang out dents to replace new panels. Depending on type of body shop they will also do the filler work but some have prepers who will do the filler work,prime and flat work, then into a booth where the painter works their magic. Then its off for a flat and polish. Next up for a valet before coming back to me to bolt everything back on. Then back to happy customer.

kind of along the lines i had pictured

you have a very intimate knowledge of how cars are put together then.

i found it quite interesting to see how the cabin is built up when i took the dash out the valver. it was much more complex the VW camper van i helped restore for example

how do you find out how to disassemble cars you have not worked on before? do you have a resource you can go to so as to see where screws, bolts, fasteners etc are?

i know from when the VR had paint done that the bodyshop struggled with the door handles - the fact they had removed the drivers handle but not the passenger's was clear to see by the finish under the handle

I work with about 6 other fitters but you just get to know what makes do it which way. If not you have to work it out. There are no forums for that type of thing.