SR_Neale

handbrake repair

The hand brake bolt that holds the handbrake down has broken I'm assuming the bolt has snapped. What have other people done to fix the problem? Any pics would also be a great help cheers.

Is it definitely the bolt that has broken? More common is the metal between the two bolts has fatigued and sheered buy being pulled up to hard. Happened to mine and I just hammered it all back into position and welded it. Required the seats and carpets to come out.

yeah its very common on all VW's of this era. The studs that the handbrake bolt to are attached to a plate, that has spot welds in the four corners. The front two welds fail after time due to stress of pulling it up so often. A couple of new spot welds and all should be good again.

Finally got round to looking into the handbrake problem and found that the front bolt had sheared away from the base plate. Drilled out the spot welds and removed plate so that the bolt could be welded back into the plate. As a temporary measure I have re fitted plate with pop rivets until I have the time to get carpets out to weld plate in properly.All now working as it should.