Jim Bowen

Where to buy steering rack & pump?

Decided i am going to get a new rack and pump and probably track rods and ends. Now my engine is run in and i'm driving a bit faster i notice the dodgy steering again (which has plagued me for years now) I had to indicate and let a crappy mk1 ford focus past last night as i just couldn't go any faster :lol:

Is it something i should get through classic parts, or are there any decent 3rd party manufacturers etc?

Its about the only part i've never changed and done 225,000miles now, so making me think that is to blame

This is listed on GSF, says various VW and seat, makes me wonder if a rack from something else might fit the rado?

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/430vg0140

I thought mine was a TRW type rack, i did try to look on classic parts and what i found was in german and it had a price of over 1000euros.

Hi Jim

I work for the sister company of The Parts Alliance, who have many motor factors around the country.

When I replaced the rack on the valver I learnt the hard way that the splines on the rack differ depending on VIN number, one is coarse & one is fine.

I have found the data they sent me regarding the part split, which I have copied below for you:

Line OE Number Splines VIN Note Supplier Drive Note

1 535 422 061C 36 >>50ZNK044187 TRW LHD J

4 535 422 061B 22 50ZNK044188>> TRW LHD J

2 191 422 061SX 36 >>50ZNK044187 TRW LHD

3 191 422 061KX 22 50ZNK044188>> TRW LHD

5 1H1 422 061DX ZF LHD VR6

6 192 422 061P 36 >>50ZNK044187 TRW RHD

7 192 422 061K 22 50ZNK044188>> TRW RHD

8 1H2 422 061AX TRW RHD VR6

I just went with the supplier who was able to provide the part. from memory they initially ordered the later 22 spline version, which was made up to order. they then had to replace it with a 36 spline version for my early valver but oddly I recall them saying the supplier had one on the shelf lol

also, the above part did not come with track rod ends, it was literally just the rack itself

I hope that helps

This is listed on GSF, says various VW and seat, makes me wonder if a rack from something else might fit the rado?

I thought mine was a TRW type rack, i did try to look on classic parts and what i found was in german and it had a price of over 1000euros.

looking at the part info I put in the previous post for you TRW is the one I would say

give me a minute, I am trying to find the price I paid...

EDIT: got it - I paid about £120 for the rack & then had to also pay a £90 surcharge which was refunded once I had returned my old rack. Please note I am unsure if I got a discount of some form where I got it from so prices may vary online

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Excellent, very helpful, thanks. I would guess that mine is 22 splines, not counted but from memory. Who did you order it from? (or do you do it through your job?)

Excellent, very helpful, thanks. I would guess that mine is 22 splines, not counted but from memory. Who did you order it from? (or do you do it through your job?)

Pleasure Jim :)

Just check you VIN code & then if it is after the one stated in the parts matrix

I ordered it through my work but as mentioned they have many motor factors - Allparts, CES, GMF, BMF so any of them should be able to help you

this is their branch locator in case that helps also http://www.thepartsalliance.com/index.php/about-the-parts-alliance/our-branches

Yeah, i reckon its

7 192 422 061K 22 50ZNK044188>> TRW RHD

That i need.

I would tend to say so too Jim

what does your VIN end in? just need to confirm that it ends with a higher number than 44188

I am presuming it is a late model rado?

I know my early valver was the fine spline, thus the 36 grove one

I need to check, i know i wrote it down, its a 1995 VR, from memory it was 50 something

lol they are all 50Z something m8 ;)

just make sure you give the VIN to whichever supplier you choose so as they can double check on their system

I wonder if its possible to custom fit a rack and pump from something else, like a more modern golf or audi for example. Classic parts do list a new VW rack for the corrado but its £1000, and am sure its only that price as there is only one or two left.

I wonder if its possible to custom fit a rack and pump from something else, like a more modern golf or audi for example. Classic parts do list a new VW rack for the corrado but its £1000, and am sure its only that price as there is only one or two left.

having jumped on the heritage site I see what you mean Jim

that cant be right - I only brought the one for my valver last summer & that was 10 times less cost

give me a few minutes im on to it for you....

blimey that was hard work!

GSF are the motor factor local to you - I searched on their site & found the rack

stated as not available for home delivery so I used their chat function - painful to say the least - I tried to find out if they could order one in but didn't get an answer

the person said they have the late rack on order but no lead time stated

£386 but states £126 surcharge which is refunded when they get your old one back

FYI (for comparison) the early rack is also on the site, slightly cheaper at around £285 with an £85 surcharge

would you like me to contact a colleague at the head office of the branch network to see if they can order one in for you? if yes, PM me your email addy & your VIN number & reg

I cant promise anything but my thought is maybe I can get one sent to your local branch

GSF have been having 40% off weekends for the last month, will post the code when it arrives by email at the weekend

Might hold fire on the rack. This evening the pas pump. At least i hope it's the pump. Making a clattering noise. Won't be driving it again now. Only had a very quick look under bonnet as its dark and seemed to be from the pump area. Can't think it's the engine.

These racks have been an issue lately, I had to rebuild one a few weeks back with the VAG seal set 1H0 498 020 which is £48.23, very time consuming and no good if the gears are worn. I spoke to TRW (the original manufacturer) today and they have four recon units due into them from TRW Germany at the beginning of April, however two are back orders so that only leaves two being available, the typical price would be £230 all in BUT there is a £100 surcharge until they get the old one back.

The pump, originally made by ZF, is easy to get as it fits all sorts of VAG cars, a TRW recon is £140 all in and there is plenty of UK stock BUT there is a £75 surcharge.

I would buy one of those racks, where would i go to order that?

Just ordered a pump from GSF, £215 for a TRW one, although you get 20% off with click and collect and then £96 back when you return old pump (i have a spare knackered pump so will give them that)

What are your symptoms Jim? I've done 200k on mine and I've been thinking it may be wandering because of the rack.

Just replaced all my bearings though, will see how that helps.

Well if you imagine steering wheel as a clock face, it seems really easy to turn the wheel about 5minutes, but say you were turning it 10-15 minutes it really stiffens up. Corners well on a tight bend, but a slight bend in the road and it feels very unsettling as you are only turning a little bit and the steering will be too light and then stiffen up. Not sure if thats makes sense, basically the steering feel isn't consistent.

I used to have a clunking if i was sat stationary and quickly shook the steering wheel side to side, thats seems to have disappeared when i fitted the fixed column.

I still think i'll change the rack (if i can get one) as its one of about 5 parts that are original on the car :lol: Literally changed everything else.

Yeah the whole system was drained. I've had the car apart over the last two years and put it all back together, nearly everything is new apart from a handful of parts.