daniboy1_2_3

Wheel speed sensor help

Hi there I'm fitting my corrado G60 brakes to my mk1 golf. I'm using the original mk1 golf gti rear axle and the corrado G60 stub axles to allow me to mount the rear calipers. I also want to fit a rear wheel speed sensor and rotor. Can anyone tell me if the rotor just presses into the disc? I've already got new discs. Also how does the sensor mount and can anyone give me a part number for it please.

I also remember reading there was some kind of cover that sirs between the stub axle and oil seal if anyone knows what this is?. Or is there just an oil seal and nothing else?.

Last thing is I'm wanting to fit some rear disc shields are they available and does anyone know if they would work on a mk1 axle? Cheers.

The reluctor rings (baskets) just push onto the rear of the bearing housing on the one piece disks.

The stubs have holes in for the sensor? I'll post a pic in a while of VR6 stubs.

I think both disk shields and inner seal covers are now obsolete?

VW heritage sell the rear splash Shields iirc, and not sure if they differ from those fitted to the VR6, but they sell the covers you mention too, although the definitely don't fit the VR6. Not sure if the G60 has different size rear disks is why I can't be more definitive.

Cheers, from memory there is an oil seal in the disc that faces the stub axle, how does the ring push in here?

Just to confirm there is an additional cover apart from the oil seal then?.

I can't remember off hand as I don't have them in front of me but I don't think my G60 stub axles have that hole. Was it only some models that had holes in the stub axles?

Some early g60s didn't have abs, you need the holes and retaining pin for the sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The seal for the bearings should come with the kit. Have a look on Partsbase (Google it) to see an exploded diagram, but there is a metal cover also, which is what I thought you were referring to and mentioned earlier.

So I need the ABS ring and metal cover, both of which sit inside the inner bearing and oil seal by the looks of it. Cheers.

Can anyone give me part numbers for the sensor and associated clips? Thanks.

Edited by daniboy1_2_3

Sorry you're right. Just saw your last post too. Have a look on that site, you may have to look a fair around a bit between brakes, rear axle, Electrics - ABS system, body - boot floor etc........

Sometimes takes a while to find!

Well I've just checked my stub axles and they don't have the mounting hole for a wheel speed sensor unfortunately. Does anyone know what year they got fitted with them? I was thinking of drilling the hole to fit the sensor. I don't suppose anyone has a stub axle they could take measurements off do they please?

Well I've just checked my stub axles and they don't have the mounting hole for a wheel speed sensor unfortunately. Does anyone know what year they got fitted with them? I was thinking of drilling the hole to fit the sensor. I don't suppose anyone has a stub axle they could take measurements off do they please?

You'd have to drill the holes very (one for the sensor body and one for its retaining screw) accurately to give the correct air gap for the sensor / reluctor ring.

A VR6 stub should be the same and more common, just using it with a 4 stud disk.

I presume you're using it for speedo purposes rather than retro fitting abs to your MK1?

Yes I think it may be more hassle than its worth and ill probably just invest in as set with the mounting holes.

I'm using a DTA ecu and want to utilise the launch control function which requires an undriven wheel speed sensor input.