16vMatt

Heater Controls + Other Issues

Afternoon all,

I've spent the past few days fiddling and getting angry at my attempts to replace my heater matrix. The matrix is now in and blows warms air however I can't get it to point on the windscreen the direction control dial gets stuck and won't budge. Also the fan only works on max setting. 9108160e35185b3d06832fb1c399ea61.jpg648d5d9cee7e7fd2c37003041a282fd5.jpg

Also all my fuses and relays are wedged up in a corner as shown by the previous owner what's the proper way of keeping them in place and covering them? 95b6b2b7a5361f5e26c4842a94458192.jpg

One day I'll learn to buy a car that doesn't need countless days spent on it ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

it sounds like one of the bowden cables, which facilitate the movement of the flaps inside the air box, is not sliding correctly

did you remove the air box in which the matrix sits to fit it or leave it in situ?

if you took it out it is worth going through those steps again maybe

as for the fan only working on max setting, there is a very cheap fix on the wiki here. http://wiki.the-corrado.net/fan_speed_thermal_fuse_repair.html there you go fella

regarding the fuse board - defiitely been refitted in a bodge fashion. it should secure up nicely up & back from its current location. i wonder if the board had been replaced or something as ive not come across one in this state before. you might be able to wriggle it out a little & see where it should fasten to

Be gentle with the directional controls. You need to remove fascia unit and check a clip hasn't come out its location. I also vacuumed and silicone spray lubed mine for a smooth operation.

There's some info on here about the clip that causes a problem but I Have refitted mine.

Also check that on the heater box the cogs are correctly lined up. Sounds impossible upside I know but they have small indents on them to ensure all is lined up correctly.

Go patiently as replacement heater controls are daft money. Good luck. I do have some photos somewhere

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

[ATTACH]83681[/ATTACH][ATTACH]83682[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]83681[/ATTACH][ATTACH]83682[/ATTACH]

cracking pic for detail that is Cressa

Cheers fellas I'll give the heater controls a go then I'll do the fuse after

Check them metal arms, they bend and make it stiff to turn and then the cogs snap if you force it. They can be taken totally apart and re-greased etc

Thanks Jim. Just trying to give back all the help I've received from fellow members

As they are daft money, if there was a job lot of some cogs fashioned out of a tougher material, would that garner interest?

There may be, however it's the bowden cables that generally cause the initial problem, and the gears are just one of quite a few weak parts that fail. Replacing the gears will likely just lead to a different part failing, and the plastic chassis that the clips fold onto are also very weak and could render the whole thing junk.

That's obviously other people's call though, so worth seeing if it's viable imo.

Thanks for the help so far chaps now which cable goes to which metal arm? The one with the yellow tape on seems to have a lot more reach wheras the other black on can't really reach either arm. When I turn the direction control dial neither of the arms move either.

7d71ee77fe86ee6c1f54856da8674559.jpg

Thinking of just manually setting the cables and cogs so hot air goes to the windscreen then not adjusting them as I've never wanted to have the heater pointing elsewhere. Heated leather seats keep my behind plenty warm

Are you turning the directional control with the bowden connected. ... If so disconnect, check the control now turns and then reach underneath and see if you can manually move the cogs via the cable arms underneath.

Somethings dodgy, but there are some good 'what to check' ideas on here. They're what I used to understand my problem

Yes I've disconnected the cables from the controls the control turns freely but gets stuck on the below setting in the picture5f0488c92e0e99b7d755fc927d171fc5.jpg

16e59c4c56e4729f45d36c40da7d5d39.jpg

I've just re looked at my picture. . Wondering if it may have jumped a few cogs and knocked it out of synch. They should definitely both go to the right

Where does the third cable go to and how would I get to the other end of it? Would I be right in saying only two of the cables go to the bottom of the heater box. I'll just manually adjust the controls at the other end of that cable to point on the windscreen

I'm trying to look and understand some pictures I have...only 2 go to the bottom. A black and a blue one. The other just controls a flap higher up.

If you hold the cable outer sleeving and pull on the inner wire, do things move freely?? Connect the power wire back into your controls so you can get air blowing, then you can pull on the cable wires to understand what they do. .hopefully

I will be doing this at some point as well as my direction is stuck in vents but just want to get it on screen.

The other black cable goes down and curls back on itself up to a separate flap. I've even tried looking on Google images but can't find you a decent picture.

I know its a pain but the best thing I ever did was get the dash out and sort these gremlins out properly and to refurb the flaps in the box.

I do think your controls have jumped some cogs as they should both go to the right hand side. You should be able to lift/separate them apart. Somehow they will go back

I found the corrado club of Canada comments to be helpful on this. Google brought them up

That lower arm has snapped the runner on the underneath of the cog, it has done the same thing on every corrado I have ever owned. I have drawn a cog up in 3d with reinforced walls where they usually break, I had intended to get 3d printed but just haven't had chance to price one up, plus I also plan on going climate control route.

Lookss like I'll just put it back together and get a dedicated windscreen wiping rag to clear any condensation cheers for the help anyway fellas

swiftkid, can you send me the 3d. I'll get a sample one made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lookss like I'll just put it back together and get a dedicated windscreen wiping rag to clear any condensation cheers for the help anyway fellas

until you can come up with a permanent fix you could try getting one of these to help with reducing morning time condensation

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rechargeable-Moisture-Absorbing-Cordless-Portable-Dehumidifier-Wardrobe-Home-/281246134335?hash=item417b93703f:g:JaUAAOxy4dNS1uB6

they are rechargeable

i leave one in which ever rado im not using at the time & switch it between the 2

it has also helped get the moisture out of the carpet & underlay from a leak

Culshaw pm me your email and I'll send it across. What format do you want the file in? Step file? It's drawn in inventor ipt at moment.

I do have a complete spare heater control so can test easily (with broken cog!)