Gjlaw1

Newbie near Northampton with a wreck of a 16v

Oh I thought it just had the one on the boot that I've replaced??

Anyone got an 'in line' one spare that I could buy that looks like the one in the photo (but not so crusty!!)? For a 1994 2.0 16v?

Cheers gareth

Guest sam1990rhodes

it may still work, just needs a severe cleaning. disconnect the fuel line coming from the fuel tank, see if fuel comes out when you prime the engine, if it does reconnect to inline pump, disconnect from fuel filter and try same again, if fuel comes out of there you know its fine too :)

Inline is knackered - too crusty to get apart!!

Anyone got a spare?

3744867510fdb76618e64bda97148d9f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest sam1990rhodes

as in keep your existing surge tank and replace the pump with an after market one.

...I told you Your gonna be in For weeks of fun..!

I've got a spare fuel pump (O/E Bosch) and a spare fuel feed pipe but I sold the accumulator and surge tank last month..

Let me know if you need them, at least it's a start..

You did indeed but it's been fun and I've learnt a lot about how rust behaves!!!

Yes please to the fuel motor and pipe(s) took mine apart and it was clearly seized.... Just need the accumulator and some of the pipes that connect it up....

Let me know what you want for the motor.... Cheers gareth

Guest sam1990rhodes

Have you sorted your fuel pump woes?

Hi Sam - monumental evening last night - don't mind admitting I was quite emotional but......

I got her to run!!!

The pumps and pipes are just about working (need sorting properly so still keen to get a good accumulator/pipes etc) but I was desperate to see if the ol' girl would start....

Lots of smoke to start with (understandable after 10 years!!) - temperature got up to just above 90, fan kicked in (despite a broken switch) and she sat running for about 15 mins until I turned her off.

Spluttered when I gave her some gas but hoping that'll settle...

Am going to replace the fuel line to the engine from the filter as I'm not happy with my banjo 'repair'.

Will try her again today just to check it wasn't a one off!!!

Just a 2 page list left of things to do now (rather than the 4 pages I started with)....

Cheers for all the help, support, advice etc on chapter 1.....

Guest sam1990rhodes

Wahay, good to hear another rado lives!. Not long till its back on the road

Thanks - am learning everyday.....

From this (4 weeksish ago)

d41511be207034b2e89eb7bb54ee1245.jpg

To this (as of today)

27144aa536f5cfdd596777fa0272a653.jpg

Fair play to you mate. A huge amount of work to recommission this car, but you don't seem put off by it and its an absolute credit to you for saving it. Keep up the good work! :thumbleft:

Guest sam1990rhodes

What have you swapped from my old engine in those pictures?

Hi mate - is this a test to see if I know what the bits are called? Ok I'll have a go but I admit I don't know much!!

Complete manifold

Fuel lines

Injectors/leads

Distributor

Cambelt

Air box thing plus the bit the fuel lines go onto

Air tube thing

Pretty much everything that I could get off/at.....

Replaced clutch slave and was able to drive it into the garage (see below)!!

2 steps forward, 1 step back today:

Replaced the sensor at the bottom of the radiator (old one had snapped) but blew the fan fuse somehow and the engine ran very hot (I didn't realise the fuse had blown), once I realised, I changed the fuse - now the fan won't go off (was still going hours after I turned the engine off even though it had well and truly cooled down) - had to unplug the lead to the new sensor in the end to stop the fan.... Any ideas what I've broken now?

2d0528c1c1ccbfc363003d5c36ecd40a.jpg

Guest sam1990rhodes

Got the engine on the stand I see!.

Possibly a dodgy fan switch?, do you still have the old one to test?

Yeah I fitted a towing hook (from an old land rover) to the steel joist in my garage to use to winch it up onto the stand - all the parts off your engine have been super useful (thanks).....

The engine runs great once going and after a few minutes (it's hard to get started and lumpy/stalls lots until then).

Guest sam1990rhodes

perhaps its worth running some fuel cleaner (redex etc) through the fuel lines?

Had an afternoon of head scratching - appreciate some advice .....

The car won't start anymore - I've got fuel going to the fuel lines but no spark....

I've swapped over the coil, distributor, plugs, rotary arm but still now joy - I have 12v going into the coil.

The last thing I did (yesterday) was fit a radio/stereo inside and I did short out the red 12v ignition/switchable live cable for the radio - fuse is ok but wire is no longer live (I took a switchable live for the radio from the glove light so no dramas) could my tampering inside be the cause of now not having any spark?

Appreciate any help/pointers on where next to test/look - I've got a voltage meter to can poke it anywhere (just not sure where to check next)....

Thanks

Gareth

Quick update - ignition problem finally resolved after testing changing:

Leads

Plugs

Distributor cap

Rotor arm

Ignition coil

Distributor/hall thingy

Testing all wires and outputs back to ecu

Turned out to be .........

Ignition switch in the car - realised it worked when it was wiggled!! So all the dodgy and odd test readings were skewed depending on how the key was turned!

Part ordered Wednesday (eBay for £5.80) arrived and fitted today (Thursday) - that small fitting/retaining screw was interesting!

Anyway running again now - just the brakes lines to sort then maybe a proper test drive up and down a private road.....

Ha, so often the cause of non starting issues! Glad you got it sorted in the end, although I'm sure quite frustrating after spending on all those other things.

Guest sam1990rhodes

good to hear its fixed!, mine is on the way out!. do you have a link for the part on ebay? give a bit of feedback on if its any good etc.