Gjlaw1

Newbie near Northampton with a wreck of a 16v

The first drive!!!

Ok it was only 0.2 of a mile but it drove under its own steam, changed gear and stopped!!!

Oil pressure light and buzzer came on so I stopped at that but really pleased she lives on after standing for 10 years (not in my possession!)

Some pictures below of how she now stands (could have done with a bit of a clean).

Thanks to all that have helped answer questions and encouraged me over the last few weeks - still lots more to do but I'm chuffed with progress - just got to figure out the oil pressure problem next - all ideas welcomed!

Cheers Gareth

4402c1173e7e649eefb5bda404f22848.jpg3e69bc7dd6822c6691664d09231adf2b.jpgc292ce836bcfce790317c01e52bd9625.jpgb878e41c993788ca66db62fda7afb65e.jpgbac1dfaf32b7a8e6e82523d9f21a548d.jpg56441e626e73004db61df80727767813.jpg93e0a982fc06a8e19bd2de6107b45ea0.jpgc7854fa775b84dfc7038b302ef6be090.jpg0ffb3a382248ee764d3a8dcc53ec5f4a.jpg73ff73da9c30279354d45d7f5e2de8d0.jpgb96e0ecadd585619a8bdea18ffd5a7cc.jpgcaf3d8d4bafb13b7d1675d0113aa612e.jpg671081d70de114ae8cfb99d954306a95.jpg5df2fa115645f4c537c28697f10ac21b.jpg2ea458d7fed64436ef3432ca8ea6aa85.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest sam1990rhodes

looking good!, did you manage to test if the spoiler went up at speed?

No unfortunately I didn't get out of second gear (short road).... Now I think about it, I don't recall seeing the speedo move but there was a lot to 'take in' so it may have. If I can sort the oil pressure warnings then I'll venture further/faster.....

Anyone know the part numbers of the oil pressure switches/sensors for a 94 16v?

Cheers

Gareth

Do you have a TPS genuine parts supplier near you. Owned by vw but cheaper than the dealership and normally get it next day.

I've always had great help and service with these guys

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi - will have to look into whether there's a tps nearby - I've got a gsf very close that I've been using - their site shows a few different options though so thought I may be able to get the parts ordered without removing mine before 'fitting day'

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth, can you wait a while? I've Got quote a few oil press. Switchs spare.

Problem is i'm not exactly around the corner..

Gareth, can you wait a while? I've Got quote a few oil press. Switchs spare.

Problem is i'm not exactly around the corner..

That's really kind (thank you) but I'll try and pick some up from gsf and see how it goes - I'll shout if I get stuck (very likely!!)

Cheers

Gareth

Got and fitted 2 new oil pressure switches (gsf £4 each) - just driven it 1.1 miles without issue - test journey rolled it over into 88,000 miles on the dash...... Small steps.....

Guest sam1990rhodes

thats the problem with a car thats been stood for 10+ years!

Hi Gareth ime a newbie.I live near Market Harborough I have just rebuilt a 57k genuine millage VR6 and added a votex super charger just to make it a bit more interesting .I would like to post up a few pics and vids but will have to research how to do it first. I have also a few corrado items i will advertise when sorted

Hi Gareth ime a newbie.I live near Market Harborough I have just rebuilt a 57k genuine millage VR6 and added a votex super charger just to make it a bit more interesting .I would like to post up a few pics and vids but will have to research how to do it first. I have also a few corrado items i will advertise when sorted

Hi Andy - you're not too far away..... Looking forward to seeing your project (and any spare parts you may have!)....

Cheers

Gareth

hi fellow corrado owners of Northampton. There is a few of us in the area, we meet up with a few other local vws at the billing mill pub on Sunday late afternoons if any of you would be interested in coming along sometime? We had a good number of corrados last summer. Look us up on Facebook if you have it, Northants vag society.

Perfect - a meet up sounds good - I'm not on Facebook (social media recluse) but I think there is a meet tomorrow eve?

Another step forward today - see below:

1b95b9f9ea468712e7e6d89bf7a24bb5.jpg

I owned a couple of valvers several years ago, but occasionally drop into the forum to have a nose (and when I again start to lust for a VR6 'Rado!). Just read your thread from start to finish, and I have got to say you deserve a massive virtual pat on the back. Amazing work, and HUGE congrats on getting the old girl mot'd after all this time. The early photos looked pretty scary, but you've proved that hard work and commitment get the results! I'm impressed with the general look of the bodywork on your car - it looks really clean and straight - surprisingly so, considering the photos of the suspension and underside initially! Keep up the good work 8)

I owned a couple of valvers several years ago, but occasionally drop into the forum to have a nose (and when I again start to lust for a VR6 'Rado!). Just read your thread from start to finish, and I have got to say you deserve a massive virtual pat on the back. Amazing work, and HUGE congrats on getting the old girl mot'd after all this time. The early photos looked pretty scary, but you've proved that hard work and commitment get the results! I'm impressed with the general look of the bodywork on your car - it looks really clean and straight - surprisingly so, considering the photos of the suspension and underside initially! Keep up the good work 8)

Many thanks for your kind words - It's only because of the forum and the helpful, kind and supportive people that I've been able to make the progress I have - the number of stupid 'what does this do' type emails I've sent and 'please help' requests has been quite embarrassing but always well recieved.

This forum (the people) has genuinely inspired me and made me feel I had the support when I needed to reach out for advice or parts (during what would otherwise been a very difficult time for me personally).

I've learnt a fair bit in 7/8 weeks and look forward to continuing with my corrado journey. I have a 1986 xr2 in similarly bad condition that one day I also hope to 'save'.....

Thanks again....

• Like 1

Guest sam1990rhodes

'Vehicle structure has slight corrosion everywhere'

that last bit cracked me up! Congrats on the MOT!, not the bucket list failure you were expecting!

I know we shouldn,t mention Fords on a Corrado forum but can,t beleive the price of XR2,s recently, definately a good move holding on to that..!!

Hopefully i,ll get an MOT pass as well next week, fingers crossed...!!

Good work by the way.

'Vehicle structure has slight corrosion everywhere'

that last bit cracked me up! Congrats on the MOT!, not the bucket list failure you were expecting!

Thanks Sam - yes the phrase corrosion everywhere made me smile too - suspect they don't get to use it often. He did say that it was just on the surface and would wire brush off (job for another day!)...

Thanks again (and for being one of those I frequently send stupid/'help me' type questions to!!)

I know we shouldn,t mention Fords on a Corrado forum but can,t beleive the price of XR2,s recently, definately a good move holding on to that..!!

Hopefully i,ll get an MOT pass as well next week, fingers crossed...!!

Good work by the way.

Cheers - yes I'm glad I hung onto the xr - it's done 69k and pretty standard - there's some of the original body/metal left in a couple of places too!! Project for next year maybe....

Taxed, insured (£116 bargain) and mot'd!!

Am enjoying the occasional short trip in it... Furthest I've gone in one go so far is 12 miles...

Really enjoying the sound and driving it...

Has developed a stuttering as though not enough fuel is getting through after about 10 mins of driving when revs are high - had to pull over earlier as it was starting to conk out - waited for a bit at the side of the road, started it no problem then was able to get home....any ideas? Joys of ownership!

Cheers

Gareth

Guest sam1990rhodes

any updates on the stuttering gareth?

any updates on the stuttering gareth?

Unfortunately not - it starts well, drives great for about 20 mins then as the revs build (over 4k) it just splutters with power coming in and out.

It gets worse until it eventually stalls (managed to time stopping with lay-bys and hazards on so far) if I turn the engine off for a few mins it comes back to life and drives great for a while until again the same thing happens again.

Any ideas? The problem kicks in pretty much at 4K revs but then once it's stuttering it happens across all rev bands......🤔 May be unrelated but the in line fuel motor occasionally makes squealing noises but there doesn't seem to be any pattern ....

On a plus note, I've put in a leather interior so at least it's plush whilst I'm in the lay-bys....

Cheers

Gareth

Guest sam1990rhodes

im not sure with the older engines mate. if its duel related, Perhaps the fuel metering head? did you swap that our yet?.

any pictures of the new interior?

im not sure with the older engines mate. if its duel related, Perhaps the fuel metering head? did you swap that our yet?.

any pictures of the new interior?

Pictures of the interior as requested!

d28b3c576fe730582c8ab03cae56014f.jpg

2d64a832e994503f1d82e9319bfff271.jpg

9e19b32d32fcb0397868ed3a9f4af420.jpg

8af88db7cd476336527c921852e26bee.jpg

Thanks to Philly-R6 for selling them to me...

Guest sam1990rhodes

Looking good, see you went for the none bench back. how easy was that to fit?