cmalyan

To store or not to store....

Hey all,

I've been offered a job 'down under' which I'm currently contemplating.

One of my concerns is, what do I do with my Corrado?!! If I do take this job, then we will look to move out there permanently.

So, my question is, do I put my Corrado into storage, as a little nest egg for next few years, as I can rent a garage pretty cheap or do I just sell up?

I know ultimately only I can make the decision but just interested in what people's views are and what would they do?!

Thanks

Planning to go travelling next year for about a year and a half, I'm planning on getting a cheap garage for it and given a few friends some keys and asking them to take it in turns taking it out, I couldn't part with mine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take it with you :) Super scene points for having one of the rarest VW's in Australia. Think there's literally single digit numbers of them out there! A member on here did it quite a few years ago... there is a couple of forum members on here, out there :)

I looked up the total cost of this not too long ago, as well as looking for them on Australian Ebay (there are none) it costs about £8.5k-£9k to get the car over there, and on the road...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think there are currently 6 Corrados in Oz and all of them I think I'm right in saying are G60's. We have looked after a number of them and all of them were imported from UK. They are seriously cool out there and the only prob with that is getting access to your Corrado, after having parked it, as it will be surrounded by admirers! Take it with you.

Yeah, I have just started looking into the cost of exporting it and in theory I could put it into my container with the rest of the house contents, as my work will pay for this!

This would then reduce the cost of exporting, as I would then only need to pay for duty/entry fees, inspection, registration, tax etc. hmmm....

This sounds like the foundations of a great plan :)

Great road trip :) I grant you that their may be be a few puddles to cross on the way :) how much holiday do you get.

Congrats on the new job and change of lifestyle... Which part of oz or nz ? You only said down under..

Thanks, it'll be in Oz (Brisbane)definitely a change in lifestyle!

I'd originally dismissed the idea of taking my Corrado with me, mainly due to the lengthy process and complications of exporting a vehicle but also due to the limitation of parts available over there......but now I'm rethinking!!

There are some very well informed and equipped enthusiasts out in Oz. I have a number of friends out there, all with or past owners of Corrado G60's. Parts can be in short supply, but we do send parts out to keep these guys rolling. It would be a good idea to stock up on some essential parts now and pack them into that container.

Not 100% as its a few years since I looked into this myself when I nearly moved out there but I think you have to be a permanent resident to import a car with you. Also you have to have owned it for 2 years previously. We were going to take our Corrado and my polo out there if we'd have gone.

Not 100% as its a few years since I looked into this myself when I nearly moved out there but I think you have to be a permanent resident to import a car with you. Also you have to have owned it for 2 years previously. We were going to take our Corrado and my polo out there if we'd have gone.

Thanks, I guess the rules must have changed since, as I can take a vehicle with me on a working visa, providing that car has been owned and used in the country of origin for 12 or more months.

Although, you are restricted to one vehicle per container, so I'd have to sell the Touareg!

Yeah, that appears to be the majority vote, personally at the moment I'm thinking either to store or export....