Bengould

Clutch Pedal Problem

Hi all,

Just got my first corrado and it has an issue with the clutch pedal.

I thought it was just air in the line but have bled it several times today and am still in the same position.

Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it feels a bit soft.

Sometimes the pedal doesn't return at all, infact quite the opposite, it pulls itself down to the floor.

I have made a little video to show what it is doing, probably makes it a bit more obvious than my

[video=youtube_share;a5yVladign0]

I'm guessing, since bleeding has made no difference, it has got to be either the master or slave cylinder. However there is no sign of leakage from either.

Does anyone have any idea which it is more likely to be??

I don't want to replace both if I don't have too, am a bit skint at the moment after buying my first corrado. ;-)

Ben

Hi

Bleed the brakes too.. And does the car have ABS? Make sure that's working properly.

Cheers

had similar problem last year where the pedal would randomly stay down , it was the master cylinder, probably best to renew the slave and master at the same time along with that hose if its looking past it, if them parts haven't been replaced before then its only a matter of time , 20 years or so is a long time,

Lol Welcome to Corrado ownership. Only for the dedicated and being rich helps.. You will regularly receive comments like "I would just replace both anyway" around here... :)

The slave cylinder is very cheap and easy to replace. Start there and move to master if it doesn't sort it mate.

If you can pinch the flexi hose between master and slave. Then press pedal if there is pressure that indicates slave if pedal goes to floor indicates master

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

I had this issues on mine, and it was the slave cylinder. If I pressed the pedal fast and firm then it was fine, but the minute I pressed it slowly, it was as if the pedal was sucked down. My assumption was the seals were on the way out, by applying pressure fast it managed to hold the seal, but with the slow pressure it just seeped passed.

Swapped the slave cylinder and it was perfect after.

It'll deffo be one of the cylinders. Slaves are cheap and easy to get, masters are a nightmare, nearly everywhere will list the wrong one for it.

I renewed both, slave was kaput, master was fine, but I'd tracked down one of the last if not the last new master cylinders so fitted it anyway and on bright side I now have a second hand but known good master cylinder if you need one. For a VR6, probs. fits all Corrado's but I've never checked, so can't say for sure.

Cheers for all the replies.

Have run out of brake fluid for now, so will bleed the full system when I get some more.

I clamped the rubber hose today and pressed the clutch in and the pedal seems to hold pressure fine, so am thinking it's most likely the slave cylinder. Will get one ordered and see if that solves it.

Going to replace the hose from the reservoir to the master cylinder too, it looks well past its best. Think I have some spare from the other halfs beetle.

Jekel, if swapping the slave cylinder doesn't help I may well take you up on that offer. ETKA lists 2 master cylinders, up to 31st July 92 and from 1st august 92 on, doesn't say what the differences are though just that there is a part number change.

Slave cylinder is the same for all years.

Ben.