Luisete

Luis's VR6

Hi guys,

my car doesn't need to be introduced. Is the blackberry vr6 with recaro cream interior owned by c488ado, Karl and Murdo.

I got this car since last february and i will let you know what i have done to the car.

This picture was taken in inverness the same day as i bought the car to Murdo.

IMG-20160206-WA0005_zpszvjtctbt.jpeg

After 350 miles trip, i arrived to leamington spa with no issues apart of:

-Water leaking inside (rain)

-Very noisy vbelt

-Abs ligt on sometimes and abs pump working always even at very smoonh brakings

-impreccission on steering

-very low engine tempersture on cruise speed

At that point i decided create a list of issues and start to sort them out

First weekend i decided to sort out the water leaking problem

I removed all parts from wipers area and carpets , seats, plasticas.. everything.

I found the water leaking throw a couple of holes and i changed the gasket of the heater fan

IMG-20160214-WA0004_zps1eliif0d.jpeg

IMG-20160214-WA0014_zpsgg8u2kbe.jpg

At that point i found a lot of wiring from old audio stuff and i decided to remove every thing, including the subwoofer.

I did the same with the aftermsrket oil temperature and pressure dials installed by the previous owner

This are the results

IMG-20160214-WA0013_zpsckix60q2.jpg

IMG-20160214-WA0017_zpsxsyfdyou.jpg

Some pictures after the work commented above

IMG_20160220_165140_zps8gabhmdo.jpg

IMG_20160220_165155_zpsl2t7emgp.jpg

IMG_20160220_165215_zpsxqmmtt0e.jpg

In my opinion the car looks much better now.

Regards

Hi all , let's continue with the thread...

Fuel tank straps were too corroded, so i replaced them by an stainless steel ones

IMG_20160313_160416_zpsrb7ehvod.jpg

IMG_20160313_165604_zpswda1jzhe.jpg

When i was doing it, i noticed that the rear rubber support for the exhaust was already broken, so i was changed as well.

IMG_20160313_160411_zpsxkkgzku4.jpg

Edited by Luisete

HI all,

after this i decided to change the thermostat. During the first trip driving back to leamington spa, i noticed that temperature during cruising cool down too much, so i decided to change the thermostat.

At the same time i changed thermostat and housing, crack pipe, secondary water pum ( it had a leaking) and the expanion bottle.

i washed the radiator several times and elimitate some superficial rusty .

finally i filled up with g12 coolant and now the car runs at 80~90 degrees with no problem

IMG_20160306_161959_zpsmwz4bpib.jpg

IMG-20160609-WA0009_zpsvhs6rzh9.jpeg

IMG-20160521-WA0004_zps01w60h19.jpeg

Edited by Luisete

After fixing this issues.... t

Next topic was Abs light.

It was on randomly sometimes just after start moving, sometimes after a while driving.

Acording with the behauvior abs pump was working, even at very low speed and the brake pedal was vibrating always between 6mph and 25 ....

First thing to check... sensors. My suprise was when i saw them damaged. Left side was ok, but the ring was bended an the right one was literally smashed.

I swapped them for delphi ones... and the abs fault is gone!

Abs system is working as it should now for just 16 pounds every sensor.

IMG-20160526-WA0017_zpsrzrtpxln.jpeg

After this i started to clean and polish the engine bay

IMG-20160609-WA0007_zpsb0btfrfo.jpeg

This picture is when the job was just half done... i'll update the results

After a long time with no updates I would like to sumarise all major works carried out on this vehicle during my Ownership. I´m sure many of the old owners will be glad to see this beatiful car still driving around.

Original bbs rs in 15" where fitted to the car back in 2016.

IMG_20160923_104821.jpg

Then  to solve some handling problems the front wishbones were revised. Them where previously polybushed but they where in quite bad condition. Front ones of the wishbone had a lot of play between the bolt and the powerflex cylinder, New Oem bolt and brand new bushes where fitted. For the Wisbone rear ones, the polybushes where swapped by the Oem Lempforder from r32 MK4 ones..

After this mod and steering wheel aligment the handling problem was solved

IMG_20160622_213853.jpg

IMG_20160622_213902.jpg

Properly washed

IMG_20160923_161446.jpg

High beam Bulb yellow covers and 90mm Front lip. (I was quite lucky to be able to get this one brand new)

IMG_20161002_220414.jpg

Edited by Luisete

More Updates from 2017

Schrick Manifold Fitted. Bought from a Forum member, ( Very nice guy)

IMG_20161028_171358.jpg

IMG_20161206_221548.jpg

A good friend of mine got rid of his MK5 r32 and gave me the BMC Filter with the silicon hose needed for fitting it to the VR6 MAF. I wasn´t sure if this was a performance inprovement as I fitted it together with the schrick Manifold , but definetely a sound inprovement!

And after a couple of weeks with the manifold I had to visit Vince for a remap to get the most out of the mods

IMG_20170708_092453.jpg

However doing the preflight checklist for remaping, Vince found out the lambda values of the car were wrong and the car was overfueling. That could explain why the car failed the MOT a few weeks before due to high emissions

IMG_20170708_092015.jpg

New Lambda sensor was fitted in place and wiring had to be sorted out as somebody before messed out with the lambda connections.  Once the lambda started firing the right values, the remap was successfully completed

Edited by Luisete

Summer 2017 Europe Road trip

In July 2017 Took the car for an europe Road trip UK-Brugge-Nurburgring- Suisse- Italy- South of France-Monaco-Andorra-Spain, nearly 5K miles and not a single issue apart of an annoying rear wheel bearing  that had to be replaced when I arrived to spain to my parents place.

Nurburgring

racetracker_3254219_46349.jpg

Switzerland

DSCN0109.JPG

Lake Como ( Italy)

DSCN0161.JPG

And finally arrived to Spain (home), meeting her new garage mate (astra gte)

IMG_20170731_090839.jpg

And finally a deep service including wheel bearing change and  full cleaning inside out.

IMG_20180731_214952.jpg

IMG_20180813_210651.jpg

IMG_20180813_210809.jpg

Edited by Luisete

Since then the car has done hardly a couple of thousand miles. It has been registered in Spain in 2019 as I moved back from the UK 2 years ago now.

She lives now garaged all year long and gets serviced every spring for the summer season. Only touches the road when they are clean and Dry and the only water the  car sees is the one from the jet pressure washer.

This month, I´ve done some works o her. Suddenly the car started to misfire randomly under smooth acceleration, so I decided to change Coils, HT leads and spark plugs. Now seems to be running so Smooth.

I´m planning for this winter a full strip out of the underneath area and get rear axle, wishbones, subframe powder coated to preserv her for a long time. I´m planning to fit some performance anti roll bars and a oil radiator, as here in spain is really needed for the vr6 model.

Any questions, thoughts , suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks to everyone

2 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

It looks a very nice motor, your efforts are truly doing it justice.  

Thanks!

really looks good.  Great efforts in maintaining the standard.  Yours is converted to OBD2 if i remember correctly - so your setup is likely similar to mine with the schrick. Did you also get cams in there?  It'll be running beautifully no doubt.  Enjoy!

Just now, fla said:

really looks good.  Great efforts in maintaining the standard.  Yours is converted to OBD2 if i remember correctly - so your setup is likely similar to mine with the schrick. Did you also get cams in there?  It'll be running beautifully no doubt.  Enjoy!

Yes, It has been Converted to OBD2 at some point. Standard cams are fitted. Vince told me by then It wasn't worth add Cams to the schrick manifold, power wouln't be increased on adittion to the manifold performance