Hairyarse

WANTED: 2.0 16v Corrado

Hey all, been a stranger for a while here!

I'm contemplating buying another C - they say you always come back ;)

At present I only have my 2002 E39 BMW 530d Sport Auto to offer in swap/p-x (value £2500) but when that's gone will have cash on my hip! :cool:

I don't know why but I miss my old 2.0 16v more than the VR6, so that's what I'm looking for, but will consider anything.

Let me know if anyone is interested out there.

(Admins - if the non-VAG p/x is against the rules I wont be offended if the thread vanishes!! :thumbleft:)

Cheers

Andy

Hey all, been a stranger for a while here!

I'm contemplating buying another C - they say you always come back ;)

At present I only have my 2002 E39 BMW 530d Sport Auto to offer in swap/p-x (value £2500) but when that's gone will have cash on my hip! :cool:

I don't know why but I miss my old 2.0 16v more than the VR6, so that's what I'm looking for, but will consider anything.

Let me know if anyone is interested out there.

(Admins - if the non-VAG p/x is against the rules I wont be offended if the thread vanishes!! :thumbleft:)

Cheers

Andy

No worries about the non-VAG part exchange. Always loved the E39 5 series! :)

I often wonder about what I'm missing with a VR (other than noise) and if there was one for sale that took my fancy, then I possibly would sell the valver but then again.

No worries about the non-VAG part exchange. Always loved the E39 5 series! :)

Thanks Jim. :thumbleft: I just love the E39!! Did many miles in them 'back in the day' and have been using them as daily transport for the last 18 months or so. However, a new job and company car means it's no longer my daily. I don't want to get rid as I love the car, but it just doesn't seem the right car for weekend only hooning around.

I often wonder about what I'm missing with a VR (other than noise) and if there was one for sale that took my fancy, then I possibly would sell the valver but then again.

There was something about the 2.0 16v engine I just loved - a lot more so than a 1.8 KR. I didn't think there'd be much in it, but despite being a bit ropey to look at, I do miss my old valver!

being in the position that i have both & have had many many miles driving in each of them - they both have their own pro's & con's

the valver has old saggy suspension & crashy bushes but some days i quite like the slight wallow & soft feeling it has

however, on other days the sharp, very crisp, super responsive, rock solid gripped to the road feel the VR gives is awesome & just invites you to take it for a lap or 2 around the cloverleaf lol

the valver material interior is much nicer on hot days than the VR's leather

however, swap that in the colder days as the heated seats in the VR are lovely & the heat works properly due to the heater box liner being in place. (thanks to a very kind person on here i do have the felt to refub the valver's flaps but i need to take the dash out again)

obviously the noise they make is extremely different & the VR wins hands down every time. i can hand on heart say i adore my BMC & Longlife exhaust & the sound they produce!!

the valver also has the Kamei skirts on it which i have always loved & are ultra rare. however this point is hopefully going to e negated at some point as thanks to Goldie on here i have an identical full spare Kamei kit which i want to put on the VR. ironically the Kamei kit was one of the main reasons i wanted the valver back for those years when i had sold it

fuel is quite different between the 2. the valver can deliver around the same mileage as the VR but for £10 less fuel. ie the VR gets around 200 miles for £35 V-Power but the valver does the same 200 miles for just £25 V-Power

Andy - as for the 1.8 or 2.0 question - hmmmm - i was under the impression (from what read/heard/told etc) that the 1.8 often ended up slightly faster than the 2.0 as it bedded in better or something

Plus IIRC were the 2.0's an 8 valve rather than some 1.8's being 16v, like mine is

do i also recall something about the 1.8 being more tuner friendly too maybe

as always it is personal preference but the 1 big thing i really do like about the VR over the valver is that with the VR i can pretty much just drive round in 5th gear all the time lol much less gear changing required than the valver as the VR will trundle at 15mph in 5th & not even grumble (pls know this last point will be due to my laziness as i potter to & from work & CBA to change gear for a roundabout lol)

on a final note - if you want to come see my valver & try to convince me to be sensible & part with her then fill your boots ;) lol

Mine had the 2.0 16v 9a engine. I've had a MK2 Golf before with 1.8 16v Kr and that did feel quicker, or more responsive at least, but there was something that felt better on the 9a. I can't recall if it's supposed to have more torque?

Either way I really liked it, but you're right, supposed to be not very tuneable, other than fitting KR cams in the 9a.

Mine had the 2.0 16v 9a engine. I've had a MK2 Golf before with 1.8 16v Kr and that did feel quicker, or more responsive at least, but there was something that felt better on the 9a. I can't recall if it's supposed to have more torque?

Either way I really liked it, but you're right, supposed to be not very tuneable, other than fitting KR cams in the 9a.

done the cams and added a 50mm intake and it's a different beast. Also fitted leather for the hot summer days that we see so many of.

Oh wow didn't think it would make much difference. What is the difference if not a silly question? More responsive or just faster at all speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow didn't think it would make much difference. What is the difference if not a silly question? More responsive or just faster at all speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presume your asking me so.....KR cams are supposed to give up to 15 bhp, but it's all about how it drives and it certainly lets her breath much better and pull harder. The 50mm adds to the top end and again is supposed gain 9 bhp, but at the expense of some lost torque - I didn't notice the lack of torque despite living in "flat" Yorkshire but noticed how the power from 4k was much more. As you can see from my signature, the car also has a K&N (no noticeable difference), has been chipped (increased driveability) and has a full jetex (resonated) system with decat (helps the breathing but isn't stupid loud).

I don't care what the total bhp is as it's how all about how she now drives for me. The mods haven't badly affected the mpg either and I always see an average of 30, often get 40 on the motorway and for example got 35 on today's run in (12 miles, 1/2 moors, 1/2 traffic and queues)

Shame your not a bit nearer as you could have a go.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated ;)

Yeah I'm with you on the not caring about bhp figures front, it is about how it drives!! I think that's why I miss my valver more than the VR6. The VR wins on outright performance and sound for sure, but just something about the 2.0 16v gets under your skin! :cool:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated ;)

Yeah I'm with you on the not caring about bhp figures front, it is about how it drives!! I think that's why I miss my valver more than the VR6. The VR wins on outright performance and sound for sure, but just something about the 2.0 16v gets under your skin! :cool:

Shame you don't have a VR6 to swap, lol.