Jim

Water noise behind dash on ignition?!

Weird one.. ever since getting my car rebuilt, every time I put the ignition on for the first time of the car being parked up, I get the sound of water moving behind the dashboard quite loudly somewhere for about 1-2 seconds. I assume this is just within the heater matrix, and that the aux pump is causing it when that comes on - does it just sound like there's an air lock in there somewhere?

Would be the aux pump alright. Is it noisy when you listen to it with the bonnet open? It could be on it's way out. Also do you have aircon? heater matrix is at ankle/knee height behind the centre console.

Would be the aux pump alright. Is it noisy when you listen to it with the bonnet open? It could be on it's way out. Also do you have aircon? heater matrix is at ankle/knee height behind the centre console.

Aux pump is less than a year old, brand new Bosch item. I can hear the aux pump whirring nice and strongly if I put the ignition on with the bonnet open. And I don't have air conditioning.

Again, just wondering really if there's air in the heater matrix. I could do with running the car up to temp with the heaters on full and the expansion tank cap off I guess and see if it improves things.

I wonder if its to do with the one way valve that is meant to be in one of the coolant pipes. i think the idea of it is to stop the heater matrix draining when engine isn't running. Have you got samco hoses?

I wonder if its to do with the one way valve that is meant to be in one of the coolant pipes. i think the idea of it is to stop the heater matrix draining when engine isn't running. Have you got samco hoses?

Oooohh.... that'll be it! Yeah I've heard about that non return valve in one of the pipes that goes to the throttle body. I've got Roose pipes fitted. Guess Stealth didn't remember to move it over when they fitted the new pipes.

I remember my car doing it, but not sure if it doesn't it since i fitted a new valve, shame its got no engine at the moment as i could go and test it.

Take the cap off the expansion cap when cold and let it warm up slowly while squeezing all the hoses to get air out...

I remember my car doing it, but not sure if it doesn't it since i fitted a new valve, shame its got no engine at the moment as i could go and test it.

Where did you get the valve from, Jim?

I think i got it from ebay a bit confused as i've bought a few, didn't like the look of the first one i bought and i also bought one for the fuel hose near tank.

Am quite sure it was the alloy mini type from here, (shows up in my email receipts), its not an inside the hose one, i cut the hose and added it in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Return-Diesel-Fuel-Check-Valve-Aluminium-or-Nylon-For-1-4-5-16-3-8-I-D-Hose-/251270362764?var=550423714162

Can just about see it here

20160412_200044.jpg

Where exactly Fender? Useful to kno in advance....

The whole dash comes out to replace the matrix - it's a little radiator like thingy that is fitted on the bulkhead just behind the centre console - about where the ashtray and storage compartment are. The aux pump sits on the right of the engine bay, just up a little from the coil pack/distributor, and to the left of the coolant expansion tank - depending on model.

Might just be air Jim from the rebuilt - VR6's hold a lot of coolant and it might take a bit of time to move the air out of the system... you may have to top up an cm or 2 when it does.

I had gurgling noises too when I binned off that one-way valve on the TB hose. I think as Jim said, it's there to stop an 'air leak' between the over-flow tube in the radiator top hose, and the heater matrix.

Running silicone hoses from roose when i turn the key it gulps and gargles but its been fine

I knew about the valve thing but i forgot to swap it over

Question for you Jim Bowen regarding the non return valve... which direction does the water flow on that line? :) I ordered one and it came the other day but then I couldn't work out which direction coolant would be going! I guess if the problem is draining then it should be heading towards the throttle body?