Thursdave

Early / G60 topmounts to VR6 / Late spec - what do I need?

Howdy folks.

Need to get my G60 handling better - my top mounts are shot (not helped by some truly horrible cobbled roads in Ghent then a lap around the 'ring).

They were new pattern parts about 10k miles ago, so I want to prevent it happening again - I've heard the later mk3 golf / VR6 are much better, but I cant find any solid 'this is what you need' info.

Any help?

I could be wrong Dave , but from what I've heard OEM is the way to go . I thought the more harder after market versions give a harsh ride . I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though .

I think the best setup is VR6 top mounts and R32/S3 wishbone and ARB bushes, all OEM.

But you will probably need to swap a few bits like washers and spring plates to get it to work on a G60. There is plenty of info on here if you do a search.

Poly bushes, while easy to fit and cheap, will tend to result in a crashy harsh ride with lots of vibration unless everything else is matched properly. The original suspension on these cars was designed by experts and you would be surprised what refreshing it with new VAG or equivalent parts will do on a 20+ year old car.

These things are all regular service items anyway.

All my suspension was new 10k ago, upgraded to r32 rear wishbone bushes and new ARB drop links before the germany trip, but the top mounts are shot, like I said.

I've had a search and can't find a definitive list of parts, obviously because it's not factory fit I can't just look it up on ETKA, sadly.

has anyone on here gone from early to late topmounts?

Cheap pattern top mounts only last 5 minutes, they are not strong enoughenough for the weight of the front of the Corrado and are really just mk2 mounts, if you can get febi passat ones they might last, otherwiseotherwise convert to mk3/vr style ones with new top plates and bearings to suit

Yeah, that's what I'd read, davidwort.

Problem is, a replacement set of standard G60 ones (from vw heritage) is about £25, whereas even at trade/cost price, the mk3 conversion is over £100, and money's tight at the moment.

I just posted this link on another thread:

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?238928-MK3-top-mount-part-numbers-pics-for-MK2

I used these parts to convert a late 16v to use genuine VR6 top mounts when replacing the suspension earlier this year. Genuine 16v top mounts were impossible to find and pattern parts do this weird thing where the metal inner is pushed up through the mount by the weight of the car as if they weren't designed for the weight of the Corrado. It didn't look right to me (I tried 2 brands of mounts, both did the same) before going down the VR6 route.