Rado87

Yellow coolant sender

Just wondering if anyone has ever had trouble with their yellow temp sender on the VR? I'm thinking maybe it's the culprit for blowing fuse number 13 for the after run aux water pump? I also get fuse 19 pop occasionally. Is it likely to be the sender or the fan control module? I'm also having trouble with the car cutting out at junctions which is a tad annoying! Thinking about changing all 3 senders in the stat housing.

Hi,

I believe fuse 13 is for the horns only (see fuse listings at the bottom of this page http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html).

Fuse 19 does supply the power to the temperature sensor ( F18 ) on the radiator.

Have you followed the notes in the Definitive Cooling Guide - in particular the "Fans/pump after-run fault-checking" section?

Hi Philly R6. I have followed the cooling guide and done the fan checks etc and all seems ok. I'm having intermittent cutting out issues along with long cranking when hot and left for a while so was thinking of changing the blue temp sender and whilst I'm at it doing the yellow one too. Fuse definitely powers the aux water pump as I noticed it wasn't working and noticed fuse 13 was blown, changed it and it started working again. It seems to be fine whilst sat on the drive but when I go out for a drive I notice the horns stop working and the fuse has gone. I've unplugged the pump and the fuse still pops. I'm basically wondering if the after run sender (which I assume controls the pump after run) can go faulty and short out causing the fuse to blow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh, thought you sussed this. Bu66er. If you're going to replace the sensors I cannot stress enough how important getting the vw ones is. Even if you have to get them from Germany. I got a set from Avs, then heritage, and they were all no good. Experienced this in the last month. Febi and Meyle I think? Other febi gear I've had no issues with.

No such luck hisnibs! I was having trouble with fuse 19 and it turned out I had the connectors for the black temp sender and the inlet manifold temp sensors swapped and to be fair that seems to have sorted that one but now it's bloody fuse 13!! Arrgh! I think this is going to be a love hate relationship!!

Feel for you mate. Does feel like you're chasing ya tail sometimes hey. Also learnt of late (along with the OE gear), never to underestimate vac leaks and I slightly grubby maf. My idle has never been sweeter... and after such menial jobs no less. Can of Maf cleaner and a jubilee. (Sorry to rub it in!)

Sure it'll work out soon fella.

Weeelll..... Talking of vac leaks!! The pipes going into the idle control valve seem to 'breathing' a bit heavy! There's no jubilee clips on the pipes so maybe that might be the cutting out issue?? I farted about with them earlier and the car didn't cut out once whilst out for a spirited drive. MAF cleaner you say?? I've got carb cleaner!! Do you just spray it in then?

Jubilee the bastido out of everything. Seems the smallest amount of unmetered air can really knacker your day. Yeh, just dump a load of maf cleaner (bought mine off Amazon) straight on it. I do wonder if the BMC fouls it easier as I seem to have to do it every 2-3 months. It's quite a wide spray angle so it wont nadger it. Little red can.

Hi Rado87, I didn't realise these were ongoing problems for you.

I cant see these sensors blowing fuses (unless they fail and short to earth), so I would be cautious about spending money on sensors without understanding the problem. I can understand a faulty coolant temperature sensor making your hot starts difficult...

I am drawn to the Fan Controller to investigate first - it is common to the two fuses you mention, and the problem is intermittent (when you are driving).

Does it look in good nick? Does it look water tight??

I have a known good 10-pin version, do you want to loan it and rule your Fan Controller in or out?

Phil

Thanks Philly for your advice and help. I think trying another fan controller would be beneficial to be honest. Are you local to Swindon area? I will attach a pic of my fan controller with the part number if it helps. 65a0f2da12af5418d184e518ccccfe0f.jpg

Ahh, I can't help you: I have the later version ( 357 919 506 ), which has a 10-pin connector on the right (where yours' has an 8-pin connector).

Hopefully, someone local to you can assist further...

No worries mate. The offer was very much appreciated though.