vwfil

The Fap mobile (16v purple)

well as I'm just returning to the forum I thought it best to start a build thread and share my plans/ideas for my new motor.

I

The latest R to hit my driveway was an early 30th birthday gift from the wife. I owned one when we first met and after starting a family we sold it as it was unpractical for my pregnant wife to get in and out of.

Now we have decided baby making is complete the mrs thoughtfully bought me a project to work on.(best gift EVER!)

On the books as a g60 (but unfortunatly a 1.8 16v under the hood) in purple she sits proudly on my drive way.

on my first test drive there were a number of quick fix issues I got straight onto.

The rear active spoiler wouldn't go down but would come up both from the button and at speed however it stuck up once there. after stripping the mech it was apparent the microswitch for the retracted limit had burnt out and a replacement was sourced and fitted (part number from maplins is in the exterior forum section if anyone needs it) problem 1 solved.

the next issue was the lack of radio. it came on but no sound. to my dismay after pulling the head unit out i found that the loom had been chopped to pieces and to make the radio look as thiough it worked the seller had tapped a live and a ground from the glove box light!. i have sorted the audio side fo teh loom but unfortunatly th power side doesnt work still. I have checked the fuses and can find nothing wrong so will have to drop the dash out trace the wiring back and see why i have no live or switch live from the original wiring.

the car had no power steering due to the pump being dead. a new pump was sourced at a bargin £10 from a mk4 golf pd130 engine (they look slightly different but mounting and hydraulic fittings are identical as well as pulley position and mounts. this fit straight into the car and hey presto power steering!

next to go was the rear wiper just a delete and blank for now untill she goes for bodywork where I'll have the hole filled properly.

Overall shes a pretty clean car with a few scratches and one small rust bubble at the bottom of the rear window which will need attention. Im more than pleased with it and cant wait to bring it back to an amazing spec and clean her up!

This is how she currently sits on my driveway as I'm currently at work she'll sit in this position for the next 3 weeks unless the wife fancys a spin out when she gets bored of the l200!

future mods I hope to achieve are:

vr6 conversion

front bumper plate recess smooth.

interior retrim (usual drivers bolster cloth has gone although the spong is still good!)

repair the wiring ( behind the dash and fuseboard is a shables of cut twist and taped alarms and immobilisers)

coilovers and polly bush replacements

full respray (I would like to keep the original colour)

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated

Edited by vwfil

I used to have stilauto sigmas on our Audi a few years ago, a nice period wheel

I used to have stilauto sigmas on our Audi a few years ago, a nice period wheel

Yeh I like em will hopefully change for borbet A's or bbs splits in the future tho. Any idea where I can get center caps from for them can't find them anywhere?

Looks great, I love Bordeaux pearl! That's a great tip on the rack too. Not sure anyone has ever tried a different one before so this opens up some great possibilities as Corrado ones are so hard to find and mega expensive! Be interesting to know more details - turns to lock, how heavy compared to original etc etc......

Good work so far mate, sounds like you'll have it in top shape before long! :thumbleft:

Yeh I like em will hopefully change for borbet A's or bbs splits in the future tho. Any idea where I can get center caps from for them can't find them anywhere?

Do you need all 4?

Looks great, I love Bordeaux pearl! That's a great tip on the rack too. Not sure anyone has ever tried a different one before so this opens up some great possibilities as Corrado ones are so hard to find and mega expensive! Be interesting to know more details - turns to lock, how heavy compared to original etc etc......

Good work so far mate, sounds like you'll have it in top shape before long! :thumbleft:

I'll take a look when I get home and let you know. its not the full rack that's been changed just the pump feels exactly the same as a corrado original pump tho. I've edited the original post for clarity sorry about the confusion.

yeh mate car came with the wheels on and no center caps at all

There is another car on the forum with the same wheels, they have a cap missing too, I think you'll struggle to find 4 TBH

There is another car on the forum with the same wheels, they have a cap missing too, I think you'll struggle to find 4 TBH

yeh I figured as much thanks dox think I'm going to try random center caps from other peoples wheels untill I can find a more common replacement for them. they clip in with a hunbcentric spring so the fixing should be pretty common its just finding the right style and size covers

Well after some time learing how to and messing with various photoshop effects I think I'm happy with the style of mods I'm looking to make on the car.

Smoothed front bumper.

Side repeater delete (I'm hopeing to make some oem+ looking ones to go into the headlights keeping them as subtle as possible)

Badgeless grill and eyebrow spoiler.

BBS RS split rims (budget allowing)

Anyones input on the best way to make the mods would be appreciated. I understand the front bumper will need to be plastic welded as I don't fancy using filler on such a large area for it to crack later on.

Has anyone had experience deleting repeaters ?

Thanks

Phil

You need indicators on the side for MOT. Your best option if not fabricating sometimes for the wing mirrors, you can get the US ones that sit flush on the outer side of the front bumper. Since you're chopping it up anyway, may as well do that! Good luck with the project, sounds good! :thumbleft:

Haha....far too much time on your hands...you must be night shift.....!!!!

Ha Ha Commissioning mate even worse!

You need indicators on the side for MOT. Your best option if not fabricating sometimes for the wing mirrors, you can get the US ones that sit flush on the outer side of the front bumper. Since you're chopping it up anyway, may as well do that! Good luck with the project, sounds good! :thumbleft:

Yeh I did look at the us spec bumper ones but TBH I'm trying to shave and clean as much as I can rather than just move them.

I think I'm going to attempt to flush fit 3mm superbright LED's into the mirrors so all you'll see is a couple of 3mm holes in each mirror. barely noticeable until the repeaters are actually flashing. not sure how the finished product will look yet but if my understanding is correct as long as the repeaters can be seen from both ends of the car its an MOT pass?

Nice photo shopping B)

Never really liked the smooth bumper look, especially not as the car is then unsmoothed by sticking the number plate on in a random place... lol

Like the idea of the side repeaters though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice photo shopping B)

Never really liked the smooth bumper look, especially not as the car is then unsmoothed by sticking the number plate on in a random place... lol

Like the idea of the side repeaters though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers mate it took some doing n some help from a friend I'm just learning the tricks.

Plates going to be on quick removable brackets of some form, havent quite worked out a design for them but definatly will be removed for shows !

Well todays efforts were to say the least a little dis-heartening.

Fitted a new alternator as mine bit the dust at the weekend all sorted now tho thanks to lilfuzzer for supplying a replacement (saw his show C in the flesh and boy that thing is a work of art!)

Finally got round to giving the faper her first good wash and polish and taking a look at what bodywork shes going to need and I hate to say it but shes good from afar but far from good.

Shes obviously had a tidy up and a respray prior to my ownership and the only thing I can think is that the previous owner didnt care too much about doing things correctly.

The rear de-badge is all cracked as its just been filled with catty no plate or welding of any kind. The rear arches are also both catty built messes that have cracked in various places. Shes covered head to toe in scratches and to make things worse the car is covered in the dreaded orange peel!!! Its clearly had massive paint reactions last time it was sprayed and whoevers done it has just totaly ignored them and carried on painting and flat n polishing around them.

Got a few snaps here but if I'm being honest they make her look better than she really is.

Its off putting but I wont give up shes just going to need alot more help than I had anticipated.

Todays pics. I also forgot to mention i found the windscreen seal is hanging out at the top not sure if its gone or if it needs resealing in.