Sommevr6

Original suspension

Can anyone tell me what colour the original shocks were on late vr6/Storm models (if they were the same or different) ? It looks as though I still have the original springs on with the paint dots on the springs themselves. Looking at whether it is worth/ cost effective to get the shocks rebuilt or whether a new set up of shocks/springs is going to be more practical. I would like to try and keep the car as original as possible. As you can possibly tell I' not that mechanically minded myself!

I don't have a storm but do have a 95 vr6. It had coil overs on so I've gone down the oe suspension route. With the new plus standard springs on standard struts it looked the most horrendous ridiculous thing ever. I could post that pic but it is so embarrassing.

I've actually just put H+R lowing springs on and it looks how the corrado should. .(my opinion). [ATTACH]84359[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

which ever way you decide dont skimp on the choice - good suspension is key

personally i went with KW V1's on my VR & they are still superb after approx 70K miles

however if i could have afforded it i would have gone with the V2's as they are ride adjustable & as such you can set your own level of ride comfort

the V1's are non adjustable for ride comfort & though they are sublime on nice smooth tarmac there is so little of if left in the UK that they can be a little hard on our crappy roads

FYI VW have not been able to supply the various components to rebuild standard setup for quite some time.

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Thanks for that- I know what you mean about the individual components. Spoke to a parts guy at the local vw garage who printed off diagrams including part numbers etc and mentioned things concerning chassis number breaks relating to certain part numbers etc. The shocks I have on at the moment are red (at least on the rear) and wondering if they are original or were there different colours. He suggested that some items may still be available through the likes of Vw Heritage or similar.

Took the originals off my storm this week. They are currently sat on my driveway. Away for a few days now but I'll take a look on sat. Pretty sure the shocks are red under all the crud....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get nearly all the original components except for some of the springs. They were red and black and made by Boge. There was a difference in spring height and top mount spring plates between early and late VRs but all 5 stud cars had the PLUS Achsel suspension setup.

Yep rears are Red and fronts are Black. 100%

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Yep rears are Red and fronts are Black. 100%

e1229a8891c90a08df5df0c295997dae.jpg

These rears were new in 2010 so original colour too.

That's the way I remember it. You should be able to get all the original bits new still if you take your time - may need to be through a few different sources though.

The red and black does look nice - at the moment I have yellow Bilstein B6s with green H&R springs lol:

Wanna change my suspension

Would love to get the original rear set

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Just checked the original ones I took off my storm. They are indeed red rear and black front. The rear dampers don't rebound at all when strut rod pushed in so they must have been f@&£ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk