robrado974

If i leave an engine without coolant in will it be ok ?

Evening .

This may sound a stupid question . Im running out of time with the current work im doing on the underside refurb. The reason for this is , a bolt which has sheared in the subframe , ive tried loads of ways to get it out but it will not budge . The bolt is now called bitch , i call it that every time i pass the car !. So back to it , because ive got to drop the subframe to get this bolt out as well as the front crossmember to refurb it and fit the refurbed rad support, its going to take me a lot longer . Im a little worried that because the rad is off , obviously ive no coolant in the block at all . But im thinking if its empty theres nothing in there to expand and contract when freezing and unfreezing , so i wont end up with a cracked block . I can see this job running in to winter time . So will the engine be ok without any coolant in it ?, i dont live in the south east any more, im in devon , so we dont get really low temps like some of you do , but you never can tell we may have a harsh winter. Also there is not any oil in the car as i had to drain it to remove the drivers side wishbone bolt .

Thanks

Rob

it'll be fine. just make sure nothing can get into your engine via open hoses. bugs insects small animals etc LOL

Try to tape or bung up any open hoses/waterways Rob. And refit the sump with the old gasket, as moisture may get up inside the block. I know it should have a light film of oil on most things, but even the slightest bit of surface corrosion on something internally could have knock on effects further down the line. Other than that, should be fine mate.

I'd coat all the surfaces with oil Rob if its feasible. Also when you refit everything I'd run the orange vw coolant cleaning solution which will get rid of any corrosion and crud.

Great info , thanks Hasan . I will be preying when removing the subframe bolts , I really do not want any more shearing off .