ed_d82

Ed's black VR6

Hi, joined a few months back after picking up a 1993 black on black VR6 auto from N. Ireland

No major issues so far, handbrake light came on and the local garage identified a problem with the n/s rear caliper so that's been replaced along with all coolant hoses... other than that ticking along nicely.

Thus far, excluding the trip from N.I. I took her to the Lake District and enjoyed some lovely long drives en route from Bournemouth, including detouring through the Peak District

Car is stock with the exception of a jetex stainless steel exhaust and a modern head unit

Purchased with 86k on the clock now clocking 90k so I've been busy

Plans are as follows:

• Get some car park dings removed
  • Possibly get a set of Brock B2 (is there a guide on fitment? Looking at a set of staggered 16s - will these fit?)
  • Replace the wiper blades for a lupo set, or cheaper alternative - any advice welcome!
  • Sort out a small patch of rust under the n/s rear arch which I spotted last week
  • Replace a broken passenger door car trim (ordered and being delivered by lilfuzzer - many thanks)
  • Thinking of putting gorilla glass (used for mobile phones) on the indicators and fog lights as replacement costs are horrific - a Samsung S6 seems to line up pretty well size wise
  • I have the original set of carpets (plus a rubber set) so will get those cleaned up
  • Looking to find a replacement original head unit (sony xr-5509rds - I was given all the booklets with the car and paper work but not the stereo, would have preferred the other way around!) If anyone has one please let me know
  • Potentially replace the triangle - have replaced with a non-OEM in the interim
  • I have replaced the rear VW badge with an OEM black version - looks nice
  • Thinking of spraying the Corrado rear script badge black to match and replacing both front and rear VR6 badges with red ones - think it will look nice
  • The original bonnet soundproofing is still in tact but needs re-sticking so will get around to that at some point - if anyone has done this before, any tips grateful as assume its a messy job
  • Sunroof works on tilt - if there's an easy way to fix the slide, again, any advice would be well received
  • The front fog light button works fine but the white detail is slightly faded so may replace - happy to take one if there is one going spare!

Should be enough to get me started. Not expecting this to be a quick turnaround and in no rush to complete so should be a nice looooong build thread.

Couple of pics here from when I purchased the car, from recent road trips and some of the items that need doing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84500[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84501[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84504[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84506[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84508[/ATTACH]

Looks very nice :)

Could be worth trying a motor for the sunroof fault, mk3 golf ones fit fine though they look a little different.

I would recommend not spraying the rear Corrado badge. Good condition ones in the original brushed aluminium effect are reasonably sought after - so I'd just put that one to one side, and buy another one off eBay in a random body colour and spraying over that. In fact think I have one in Flash Red I'd let you have for like £10 delivered.

Thanks all, good advice.

Harrier - will look into the replacement motor, I assumed it was something more complex (i.e. cables) but if a motor swap will do the trick, it's worth a shot.

Jim - thanks for the heads up, to confirm - is it the rear corrado script you have for £10? If so, will take it off you and retain the original.

Cheers

Thanks all, good advice.

Harrier - will look into the replacement motor, I assumed it was something more complex (i.e. cables) but if a motor swap will do the trick, it's worth a shot.

Jim - thanks for the heads up, to confirm - is it the rear corrado script you have for £10? If so, will take it off you and retain the original.

Cheers

Yep - the rear Corrado badge / script. I'll double check the condition of it in the next few days as I know I've had a badge which was broken / glued but I don't remember which one it was so want to check it's not the one I'm offering you. If it's OK I'll drop you a message and we can sort out payment / postage.

I would recommend BMW e30 wiper arms - a lot cheaper than Lupo or TT. Saw a thread on here a while ago and tried them - need the driver side spacing slightly from the bonnet and longer blades but that's abou it.

Thanks Tjninny... I thought my problem stemmed form the poor wiper arms but, having replaced both blades, they seem to be working alright... will bear in mind though about the E30 arms as the Lupo ones are a bit excessive!

Also need some screws... I recently replaced the dash lights as a bulb had blown and notice under the clock there was a screw missing which I believe will solve the trim beneath the steering wheel from having a slight sag in it. On closer inspection there appears to be 2 screws missing... does anyone have any spares or know what type they are if possible? I've removed the trim as per photos and highlighted where I need the screws... any help appreciated!! For the third photo should there be a nut or retainer on the bolt?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85122[/ATTACH]