Mawrick

oil "leak" - could it be from sump gasket? (wrong type?) - VR6

I have a problem with some oil "leak" on my 95 VR6, last year I installed a new crank shaft seal as I thought that was the culprit (it still can be), but I think I read somewhere that there is some differences to the rubber gasket and the cork type gaskets - or maybe it was in regards to length of some of the screws and was wondering maybe if this is the culprit.

I have at one time changed out the oil-sump that was on the car originally - and changed to a 2.8 sump which looked to be a bit different, not sure if that also would indicate what gasket should be used.

anyway the gasket I have today is a rubber type gasket from Reinz.

As I can't find the info about the stuff mentioned above I was wonderin if any of you have seen such problems or know anything about this.....

Is there signs of oil higher than the gasket? If so go as high as it starts and see what is in the area that could be culprit.....

If not the adding rtv to the gasket could give it what it needs to seal

naa, it's def comming from underneath, so either the sump gasket, og down via the dust-cover (if it's the crank seal, but until now I haven't been able to really see that there is oil on the "inside" of dust cover - reason for thinking the gasket might be culprit.......

It's not a massive job really. Sump off clean up sump and mounting surface of block.

New gasket on and replace sump.

I have at one time changed out the oil-sump that was on the car originally - and changed to a 2.8 sump which looked to be a bit different, not sure if that also would indicate what gasket should be used.

If you used the 2.8 24V Alum Sump then there is no gasket, just sealant.

Ian.

If you used the 2.8 24V Alum Sump then there is no gasket, just sealant.

Ian.

I'l have a look at that, thnx for the tips.

Where there ever cork gaskets ? (or always rubber gaskets on these).

Also if it is an aluminium sump - will it only work with "sealant"? (any part-numbers from VW on this one?).

The VR6 had a steel sump as standard, the aluminium sump is an upgrade from the 24v (iirc) as its shallower. There are 2 different types of gasket, with a fibre one fitted to early VR6, and rubber one to later cars. The bolt lengths differ depending on which is fitted, as the rubber gasket is a few mm thicker than the fibre one.

Its probably recommended to use gasket sealant on the fibre ones, and sealant on the rubber ones is optional but it should provide a good enough mating surface on its own tbh. If you have the upgrade alloy sump, use sealant as the disimilar metals will expand/contract at different rates with heat so are more likely to weep/leak oil.