maff

Panel filters

What's everyone using in there standard airbox? Not heard good things about the bmc, (had one on my old vr and sounded awesome) but just looking at replacing if there are any gains to be had?

Funny the m3 was only happy with its standard paper filter but remember the vr6 liking a K&N or equivalent in there?

I swap between a bmc cda and standard airbox with a k&n in it. K&n is fine as long as you clean and oil them properly

I swap between a bmc cda and standard airbox with a k&n in it. K&n is fine as long as you clean and oil them properly

Funny - I do the same, though in my case between a standard airbox with an OE filter and a BMC.

Sometimes I like the shoutiness of the BMC, and sometimes I want the refinement of the stock airbox. I could swap them around with my eyes closed now virtually.

After having the bmc I'm leaning towards a K&N in standard airbox, remember it being slightly louder than a paper but nowhere near as loud as a bmc!

Removing the intake trumpet on the standard airbox gives a little extra intake noise without the full on BMC roar!

not sure about a K and N panel filter making much difference though

I'm a fan of the standard airbox with a different filter, i've only ever really seen power loss from open cones due to sucking in hotter air and even the BMC CDA due to it being enclosed and restricted there.

Pretty sure the BMC CDA was the only one to offer any real gains. There was a thread with a link to back to back dynos on standard paper, K&N panel, K&N cone, and BMC CDA. The cone actually reduced power, and the K&N panel was only marginally better than the paper filter, but the BMC CDA gave good power gains. I've had all of the above except the cone, and imo the standard airbox just dampens too much of the VR6 noise (although tbf I'm almost deaf in one ear). I love the BMC CDA, its dead quiet whilst cruising yet sounds incredible when giving it a hard right foot. That'd be my recommendation anyway.

Cheers Jim, but why do you swap?

I seem to be swapping the engine just as often :lol: so try both options out

about to put my 4th engine in

Pretty sure the BMC CDA was the only one to offer any real gains. There was a thread with a link to back to back dynos on standard paper, K&N panel, K&N cone, and BMC CDA. The cone actually reduced power, and the K&N panel was only marginally better than the paper filter, but the BMC CDA gave good power gains. I've had all of the above except the cone, and imo the standard airbox just dampens too much of the VR6 noise (although tbf I'm almost deaf in one ear). I love the BMC CDA, its dead quiet whilst cruising yet sounds incredible when giving it a hard right foot. That'd be my recommendation anyway.

Yes i seem to remember someone testing out a air filters with vince at stealth and the most gain was from a BMC cda without the cold air feed

Yeah might grab a bmc if I can, they're not cheap new thought! Anyone got a used kicking around?

I've got a stainless 6 branch manifold going on pretty soon, do the these get any gains, my downpipe was blowing so for a bit extra I thought why not