16vMatt

Idiot Attempts Coilovers Installation

Evening all I'll keep it short. I've just attempted to fit my front AP coilovers. Tightened everything up, lowered the car and they just lift the top mount straight up. Luckily my bonnet was up otherwise I would have some nice dents in it. Where have I gone wrong? Cheers in advance.

3ab1133dd0d20d2eab502ca2cdf6f2bd.jpg

Just bought a set of these myself but not fitted them. Is the top nut done up fully? Looks like it's just about on the thread in the pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something isn't right as the top nut should screw down onto the coilover much further. With mine all done up there's about 1.5cm of thread visible above the nut.

Did you buy the right tool so that you could stop the shaft of the coilover spinning and tighten the nut up? (you'll see there is an allen head hole in the top of the strut)

I thought the nut might be the problem but I did it as tight as it would go, obviously looking back now it wouldn't tighten anymore due to it spinning. Which tool do I require Jim?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Being a nylock nut it will be tight. Could you use a swan neck ring spanner and an Allen key?

Being a nylock nut it will be tight. Could you use a swan neck ring spanner and an Allen key?

I've got a big box of random spanners including swan necks so should hopefully do the job. Cheers

Spot on, no worries. Let us know how you get on. Can't wait to fit mine!

Managed to sort it out with ye olde swan neck. Car looks much better now it doesn't look likes it's on a 2 inch lift kit IMO.

Lol! Good news all round then! Have you got any tips for fitting? I.e. Where abouts did you have the adjustment ring, did you measure up the thread??

Managed to sort it out with ye olde swan neck. Car looks much better now it doesn't look likes it's on a 2 inch lift kit IMO.

Nothing wrong with a 4x4 corrado :)

Lol! Good news all round then! Have you got any tips for fitting? I.e. Where abouts did you have the adjustment ring, did you measure up the thread??

I put the collar in the middle then adjusted as I liked and counted the threads either side to make sure they were lined up. If you jack up the front on the front cross member than make sure you'll be able to get the jack back out. I could just about but that's because my front splitter is removed ATM.

Glad you sorted it. As we find out, its not rocket science, just having the right tools and asking makes most jobs easier. Well done in sorting it

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you put some wood under the wheels before you let it down the jack wont get stuck. Also works for jacking up just park on the wood.