Narrdo

9A or ABF for turbo

Search around but no complete answers

Getting hold of a running shell. I'm wanting to go turbo but not a G60 charger system, I will be forging the engine etc etc. All uprated parts needed. Just wanted people's opinions on which is best and what gearbox would you go for to for max power

I know 9A would be a straight drop in. What can the box take?

ABF mk3 lump guessing its electrics?

Thanks

Hi, Welcome to the forum mate.

I've done quite a few over the years, KR 1800 turbo, G60-16v on a 9A bottom end, turbo 8v..

Gearbox wise, def. run a LSD, i fitted a Peloquin years ago, no problems and a good price.

Try and get the gearbox internals off a CCM vr6 gearbox but change the final drive and use the standard G60's shorter version otherwise i found that the car is quite dead low down and you loose out acceleration off the mark.

Never done the taller ABF 2.0 valver engine, would be a very good base though, the cams are ideal for turbocharging, just swap over your Digifant 1 setup and use that with a modified no-lag SNS eprom, i used the same eprom on my old G60-16v engine, excellent.

I have loads of components left over, forged pistons, 9A block, 16v heads, turbos, injectors, ecus,manifolds, wastegates...

Let me know if you need any info.

How about dropping in a standard tubo engine and going from there? Say 1.8t or 2.0tfsi. Lots of parts off the shelf to make them work and has been done a lot, so issues are easily solved

How about dropping in a standard tubo engine and going from there? Say 1.8t or 2.0tfsi. Lots of parts off the shelf to make them work and has been done a lot, so issues are easily solved

I get that what about a 1.8t compared to a 2.0 9a turbo

the 1.8t would be a lot easier and cheaper to drop in due to being the complete package ready to go. The 9a turbo would need all sorts of parts like manifolds, turbo, ecu etc

ABF all the way - its a much better 2l engine and has all the sensors needed to manage turbo fuelling correctly.

ABF all the way - its a much better 2l engine and has all the sensors needed to manage turbo fuelling correctly.

Wouldn't it be an issue because it's a taller block?

In terms of physical fitment into the car?

How do you mean? It's know the block does sit higher or lower but many people have done ABF haven't they

you need the later style bonnet to fit the taller abf block im sure, i have done the 9a with kr head conversion and it was pretty straight forward and gives a noticeable torque increase and with some head flow work as i have done will give 160ish bhp and a nice free revving unit

thats without turbo or charger, if thats what you plan to do

Yeah man that's decent isn't it. Yeah plan would be definitely to turbo. What gearbox you running?

Researched that people use KR/9A bottom and ABF head produces figures

Wouldn't it be an issue because it's a taller block?

I believe its only an issue in fitting the ABF engine if your car has the early style bonnet and your going to be using the original intake manifold.

Yeah man that's decent isn't it. Yeah plan would be definitely to turbo. What gearbox you running?

Researched that people use KR/9A bottom and ABF head produces figures

As has been said. if you have an early style bonnet there will be a clearance issue in using the abf block, i think there was someone who used a differnt kind of engine mounts to lower the bock into the bay, but the 9a is fine but they are an older block, i am running a standard 1.8 valver box and had no issues

As has been said. if you have an early style bonnet there will be a clearance issue in using the abf block, i think there was someone who used a differnt kind of engine mounts to lower the bock into the bay, but the 9a is fine but they are an older block, i am running a standard 1.8 valver box and had no issues

Yeah man, I'll tackle that when it comes to it.