Sign in to follow this  
x-router

Shorted ACC to Earth in the radio now car is not starting

Arg this car is turning into a nightmare.

So there I am tidying up the dash ready to put the ICE in and the previous owner had used tape to join wires. Net result = ACC ot EARTH short.

Now the starter turns the engine but it won't start. The cobra seems to work fine but I have no idea if it's buggered or a fuse....Any ideas :(

there's a couple above the fuse box... just above the relays... 8)

No spark at all.

Is there an easy way I can bypass the cobra save me having to go through the entire ignition testing?

Found and checked that fuse atop the relays.

The computer is fine, dash is fine. In fact everything appears fine except there is no AC on the radio circuit despite the fuse being ok and not getting a spark.

I am begining to suspect this one wil be beyond my very basic skills.

Anyone got another bright ideas? If not I'll have to call out the family VW expert and explain how I managed to fuck up my corrado...not good ;)

This is exactly what is happening to mine!!! A m8 trying to fit a radio in, when there was a flicker of the lights, now the car turns over, but theres no volts to coil, hence no spark.

One theory is that it may be the ignition coil, but im still not 100% convinced of this. Ive checked all fuses/relays that i could find, but havnt looked for those above the relays.

To get her started, i have to use a bit of wire from +ve battery to +ve coil, then turn her over. Starts first time then. Try it, it may work. I know its not a solution, but it is a bypass at least. :roll:

edit: oh yeah, there was no current on my radio curcuit after the flicker either. havnt been able to test it since, but i will when i get the chance.

swfblade, I'll give the bypass a try see if our problems match. Is does sound like exactly the same thing.

Supercharged: I can't see any fuses near the battry, are they standard for the G60 or would be have been added for the cobra?

I can't understand why the radio fuse didn't blow...has anyone got a wiring diargram for the G60, or more importantly the coil and radio so I can figure out what has happended?

What are peoples thoughts on replacing the coil?

I've heard of the ingition switches getting fried when shorts have happened when putting stereos in. About £20 for the switch from VW, can get to it by removing the steering cowling and looking behind the lock mechanism. 1 philips screw holds it on. Worth checking against the wiring diagrams with a meter, haven't got the bentley with me so can't get the diagrams on here unfortunately.

I've heard of the ingition switches getting fried when shorts have happened when putting stereos in. About £20 for the switch from VW, can get to it by removing the steering cowling and looking behind the lock mechanism. 1 philips screw holds it on. Worth checking against the wiring diagrams with a meter, haven't got the bentley with me so can't get the diagrams on here unfortunately.

Ok this is sounding like the source of the problem and would make sense with regards to the AC Live in he radio not coming on.

I have tested pritty much everything else and then the family vw man did the same and has gone of to consult with VW. I will give the switch a look see tonight. I assume I should be able to short the circuit across the switch if it turns out to be dead.

i fused the ciggie lighter on my bm once and the car wouldnt start. turned out the monkeys took a feed for the clifford off the ciggie lighter ffs.

Whooo Hooo

It worked and started first time. I built the same rig as Supercharged excepted I added a spare mirco switch with an arcade button (I collect arcade machines) for the starter motor. So now I have a sorta button start ignition :)

Will order a new ignition switch tomorrow.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and help looks like you where right Rpmayne. Saved me a lot of time and hassle.

swfblade best you get yourself a new switch too :)

And what have I learned from all this? When doing work on the electrics disconnect the battery! :oops:

I added a spare mirco switch with an arcade button (I collect arcade machines) for the starter motor

Superb... 8)

The problem with the push button starts is that you still need the Key in the lock barrel to disable the steering lock or are people removing this??

Well I had throught about removing it but that requires drilling to get it out which damages the car...Also to my mind someone who has managed to get past the cobera isn't going to be phased by a steering lock...unsure what an insurance company would say tho.

I think I will fist of all get it all installed and then look into removing the steering lock...at least in such as way as I can replace it if needed.

8) 8) 8)

Another one added to the list of dodgy starter switch faults then.... :D