WheelerDave

ABS Pump 1992 VR6 (and thoughts pls)

Hi all

Does anyone have a working one of these going spare please? It's the last part of my ABS system I haven't tested / replaced and I need to rule it out as being the duff part in the system.

The ABS light comes on and off intermittently. I am wondering if this could just be down to the valves in the pump just being gummed up. Any ideas how I test / clean please? When the ABS is working I give it lots of "stamp on the brakes" abs testing to get the pump working, which it does all fine. It just reverts to the light coming on next time I leave the car parked up for a while, like over night.

There also seems to be a correlation to a "pedal to the floor" loss in pressure and the light coming / being on. Next push of the brake pedal and its business as usual. This is happening less and less frequently. I have replaced the master cylinder so it's not that. The braking system has all been checked and had a full bleeding (by a pro, not just me) so it's not just air in the system. I wonder if there is air or something trapped in the ABS pump? It was refurbished and refitted a couple of years ago.

Any ideas (I've read almost every thread on this subject!) much appreciated.

Otherwise it's back to the pro for the car for another holiday to get this fixed once and for all....

David

They are troublesome systems aren't they! The only thing I feel I can contribute to this is there are two bleed nipples on the pump it's self that I didn't realise when I bled my system through for a fluid change. Maybe like you said there's a bit of air in the pump that needs a bit of extra bleeding??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you replaced the pedal position sensor on the servo? You seem to indicate the fault is pedal sensitive?

Thanks guys. Yep, I did do the pedal sensor as well.....

That was the final piece that fixed mine (pump, sensors, ecus etc all changed) after I swapped it with an overhauled unit.

Have you scanned the ABS system?

There's a company that can do a proper refurb on these units if you need it done, but generally yes they can fail. Foot to the floor issues generally points to the master cylinder..But you have already replaced it.. Yes the abs unit needs bleeding through, any decent mechanic will know how to get this right.

The long and short answer is scan the ECU. It will tell you exactly which components are faulty in a few moments at no cost to yourself.

Pick up an OBDeleven dongle, Google it. Good price and can confirm it works on late model VR6s just fine (with OBD2 port).

BBA Reman are the company that tested and refurbed a unit for me. Has been working fine since it was put in. They are hard to come by now though, so you will have to send in an old unit and not all can be fixed.