Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

tyre pressures-Vr6

Just a question.

What pressures does everyone use in their vr6?

On my door frame it recommends 36psi at the front (for half load)!!!!!!!.

I have always just put 34 in as i thought it was a bit high but after checking with my usual tyre man i am told that they have been over inflated and the middle has worn out of my p6000's before the outsides.

I am inclined to agree with him as it is very close to the guide mark.

Does anyone run 36psi in the front and if so how does it affect wear.

By the way 2 new p6000s getting fitting this afternoon.

cheers

paul

Haven't touched mine since I bought the car but I generally go by what VW say, don't forget you have a HEAVY engine up front! Try 32psi if the tyres are wearing in the middle.

Kev

94 VR6

Just a question.

What pressures does everyone use in their vr6?

On my door frame it recommends 36psi at the front (for half load)!!!!!!!.

I have always just put 34 in as i thought it was a bit high but after checking with my usual tyre man i am told that they have been over inflated and the middle has worn out of my p6000's before the outsides.

I am inclined to agree with him as it is very close to the guide mark.

Does anyone run 36psi in the front and if so how does it affect wear.

By the way 2 new p6000s getting fitting this afternoon.

cheers

paul

but paul isn't your steering geometry out...........this might be the main culprit as opposed to inflating the tyres to VW's figures......of course it also depends if you check your tyres hot or cold...you are maybe putting in too much air as well

I have 205 40 17's running at 36psi. I got no wear probs except the usual hard cornering rubbing the sidewall away! :lol:

always check mine when cold!!

have been running 34 and still have the middle of the fronts wearing down first.

Geometry is wet now.

Was way off.

Will see what happens though would have thought either side of the tyre would have worn first due to geometry.

cheers

paul

Hi, I am new to thie forum, I would like to point out that I nearly died due to the tyre coming offf my standard VR6 rim and throwing the rear end of my car onto a fast dual carrage way. Always keep an eye on the pressures and condition, its all very well thinking you're a good driver like me, trying to take a crner on a slip road at 80 mph. Just take some time to ensure tyres and pressure are spot on as the corrad is a quick motor unlike mine which is still in the body shop!!

Always run mine at 36 front and 32 / 33 rear. Never had any uneven wear issues; just make sure you check the tracking and front wheel alignment every 6 months or so.

I'm thinking of dropping the rears down to 30 as the back end was sliding a bit last night on a few roundabouts. Let you know if it makes a difference or not.

Does anyone else find the VR6 abit of a nightmare on wet round abouts? Its bog standard and seems very back happy when even tickling the accelerator on exit. Mostly seems balanced enough to get it back without too much drama, but I'm sure my old mkII golf gti with gmax all round was quicker at cornering in the wet. That used to 4 wheel drift rather than the rear end snap. Is this down to 'VR6 weight problems' that have been written about before on the forum?

Have been putting 36psi front and 34psi rear, will dropping the rears to 30 help? Also got a mix of p6000 on the front and kormorans on the rear, A539's all round will hopefully make a difference.

Probably driving like a hooligan doesn't help either. :twisted:

I'm sure the Yokos will make a massive difference. I used to run them on my 16v and they were excellent.

I'd check your rear axle mounting bushes aswell though. My VR6 was more than a touch wayward when they were shot.

The difference after replacing them was almost worth the 10 hours of blood sweat and swearing. :mad:

Make sure you have decent tyres and geometry is right.....

Also stick to factory tyre pressure figs cos it is a heavy front end....

As for tail out - this is caused by you going into the corner with the balance of the car wrong..... and prob too fast *:)

Alot of people make the mistake of barrelling into the corner - hitting brakes then throwing it round (weight distrib over front) and then wondering why it slides!!!

This is the right way....

Slow in - Fast out...

That is go into corner with the chassis neutrally balance.... get your braking done in a straight line and before the corner, then accelerate when hit apex and widen the corner as you exit ....

Get it right and you can go silly speeds *:)

Takes practice....

No rear end grip?

1. Make sure the tyres with the most tread are fitted to the rear - always.

2. How old are the rear shocks? If they're tired, they don't help.

3. What state are your rear axle bushes in? They perish, leading to "interesting" handling.

Happy motoring... :)

Found out to my peril that as someone has already said check your geometry every 6 months or so. Managed to pop one of my front tyre last week. Luckily I was at parking speed. Popped downed to a shop to check it out. my tracking was well out and the camber was in a world of it's own. Does anyone know if the geometry goes quite easily on the vr6's as I didn't hit anything hard apart from the potholes in the road??

Two new toyos t1-s and the business end of £200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I was all sorted.