timmaaah

Sunroof stopped sliding - easy fix Also a grease question

Well the other day I got the dreaded tilt but won't slide issue with my sunroof. After doing a bit of research and head scratching I found an easy fix.

Part of the mechanism consists of a small wheel that sits in a slot in the runners. There is a little rubber that sits on the end, and it would appear that over time, this loses its thickness, so when that part is pushed back, instead of the wheel riding up and over the groove, it pushed downwards, and stops the mechanism from moving back. Research would show that this usually happens on the passenger side, and was the case for me.

One way to fix it, I guess, would be to find a rubber oring that is thick enough to make the resting position of the wheel a tiny bit higher. I didn't have any o-rings, but I did have some od 4.8,, id 3.0mm plastic pipe that is the perfect size to fit on the metal part and lift it up enough that it works every time.

Tilt your sun roof, then gently tap back the fabric cover, lower it and push it back out of the way. Now - CAREFULLY try sliding your mech back. See if the wheel digs in. Now try a fingernail under the rear of the wheel and try again. It should lift up correctly this time. I took off the rubber bit, and cut a short piece of my plastic tubing, slipped it on and it works like a charm. Slide back the fabric cover and gently press back into place. Pics below - any questions, just ask.

The piece I cut was about 5mm or so long. I do have about 1.5 meters of the pipe left, so if people need some I'm happy to post these out (just cover postage).

Now - a grease question. I have some Klüber Klübersynth UH1 64-2403 silicone based grease specs:

DIN EN 377 Class D

DIN-DVGW-Reg.-No. NG-5162BN0547

NSF H1-registred

Full data sheet here http://roghankar.com/new/statics/upload/attachments/product_731_Kluebersynth_UH1_64_2403.pdf

Any good for the sunroof, or should I just buy this from the bay I can get the Klübersynth foc

Many thanks

Driver's side showing the little rubber end

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88409[/ATTACH]

Passenger side with modification

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88412[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88415[/ATTACH]

Edited by timmaaah
Because Photobucket is ****

I think you've hit on a little miracle cure. One of my previous cassettes was bent on the frame at this point due to the rubber being off.... and broke. I'll happily take a piece of you let me know how to pay you.

As for the grease, I got mine off of ebay that was recommended on here. Only around £8 for the tube, but free is better

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That's exactly what i did on my mechanism. Although i used a blue silicone tube! Time will tell how effective it is...

OK, I'll order up the moly stuff as it's tried and tested.

I should add I removed the old black rubber before fitting the new bit!

Cressa, pm me your address and I'll pop a few bits in the post. I'll do a couple of different lengths to ensure you get the right fit and for when you drop one and lose it (ask me why I thought of that possibility lol)

The moly stuff is good. Cheers mate

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I also glued a small slither of plastic under the hole into which the wheel drops - has the same affect of stopping the hammer dropping so low that it wont come out - I thought it might stay in place a bit longer than the rubber band ;) - could be belt'n'braces to do both

Good idea. I was thinking of different options as a long term solution but thats a good one

I also glued a small slither of plastic under the hole into which the wheel drops - has the same affect of stopping the hammer dropping so low that it wont come out - I thought it might stay in place a bit longer than the rubber band ;) - could be belt'n'braces to do both

Ive just removed the tube on mine and replaced with two strips of plastic cut from a tie wrap. Its actually working far better than the tube i had used before. Fantastic suggestion Geeba, i'll post some pics of mine shortly.

Here you go. And aftet greasing the gearbox and output gear its a LOT smoother now. Slides back but doesn't want to come back :( I think the whole mechanism needs to be stripped and greased properly. But at least the fix suggested by Geeba works well. Let me know if any explanation of the pics is needed. Btw the gearbox needs a t20 torx bit

Edited by fla

This is what you need bud, just a tiny amount though and it will glide alongde78fe782f98dcb018890042592c3cd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant ideas guys! Thanks for posting.. :-)

I remember the day mine stopped working! Ironically enough it was just after I had cleaned and greased the sunroof mechanism. It was a nice summers day & I called over to my mates house. I had the sunroof wired to close when I locked the car. When I came out to the car again I noticed the sunroof hadn't closed properly & there was two scratched at the passenger side :-( I managed to get it closed and it hasn't been slid open since although the tilt still works. Hopefully it will come back into action again when I try both your methods (fingers crossed)

Hi Guys

If you speak with JMR, John will tell you that grease is the devil on these mechanisms so I cleaned all of the grease away and just use the spray pictured above. No issues ever since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go. And aftet greasing the gearbox and output gear its a LOT smoother now. Slides back but doesn't want to come back :( I think the whole mechanism needs to be stripped and greased properly. But at least the fix suggested by Geeba works well. Let me know if any explanation of the pics is needed. Btw the gearbox needs a t20 torx bit

Thats it! exactly what I did... two strips cut from tie-wraps, a small dab of mitre-fix/superglue and its great. ;) - you dont get the nasty snapping sound as the hammer slides back anymore.

If you whip the cover plate off the gearbox you'll see that all the grease put there by VW has moved off the gears and is surrounding them rather than on them, all I did was push the existing grease back over the gears and reassembled it, bit messy and make sure the gears all go back ok, works a treat thou.

Thanks just cleaned all the grease out of mine... even works a bit quicker...

Hmmmm - I used silicone grease on the cable and track... seems ok, not breaking any speed records opening and closing but seems smooth....

Hi, I think my sunroof could "hopefully" be fixed by this method.

When I try to slide it back (and forward) it will go, but only about 5mm per push of the buttom and will then stop, so I push the button again and it will go, etc. etc. - does that sound the same as what was happening with yours before the fix?

Looking at the rubber stoppers, they have deformed over time, so with any luck, if I replace them with some wider tubing, it should all work ok?

Cheers.