easypops

Question about subframe-wishbone

Hello all,

I have an issue with a subframe I have removed from my red vr, one of the bolts that holds the wishbone on will not come out, it is free spinning(sort of) but it's only came out a little bit, I'm guessing that the captive but has sheared off?

I happen to have a spare that had a similar issue, except the bolt snapped on that one. I have since removed a small section of the subframe to get access and have removed the nut. I plan to re use this and was wondering if a nut needs welding in or can I get away with a nyloc nut? I'll obviously be welding a patch over the subframe hole :)

Spinning

699DC4DB-CF3E-40C8-A771-31EE41BEDB2A.jpg

4F4637E7-9A9D-4FBD-B78A-37619F1E5F40.jpg

The exact same thing happened to mine and I done what you've done. I used a nylock and all is well. Just be a pain in the arse if the wishbone needs changing again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nylon nut should be fine . When they are near heat ,they are not much use, there isn't any heat around the area .so it should be fine.

Edited by robrado974

The fact you have to weld the patch back on anyway means its worth spot welding a nut back beforehand. As mentioned it'll be a nightmare if you need to remove the wishbone again for any reason and you'll just go through the same thing again.

Cheers guys, I kind of guessed after I asked that I would get both answers and I guess it means there is no right or wrong, only fixed. Having said that, I've ordered some nuts n bolts and I think I'll weld one in.......I only have stainless steel ones at the moment and I'm not sure that'll be strong enough anyway........plus, it's not a mad priority as I have a good powdercoated one ready to go on.......I'll just need this one for one of the other cars :lol: