graham1971

Piston rings

She's rebuilt, back home, cleaned and polished and ready to go, the Golf is going to be put away for at least a month!ba79b36e9a5ecff3aa67ce474e9c7052.jpg1182a7cac5a121bbf5c215570f4907f9.jpg325c60aa919ef6ac87808313dc059564.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It actually came to £1800 overall but I'm more than happy at the minute kev, I suppose the real test will come after running in when I bury my foot into the carpet and pray!

I wish I could have had a go myself but I'm enthusiastic and semi skilled which is a recipe for disaster!

Graham,

I've just read your post, great news regarding your engine rebuild.

Your comment made me laugh - 'enthusiastic and semi skilled which is a recipe for disaster!' - that's me...

Last time I had a Corrado it was my main car and I paid garages to do nearly everything, including some rather expensive bills from Stealth. This time I have a sufficiently big garage to take the car apart and plan to do as much as I can myself - I'm definitely encouraged by some of the comments on here with regards to what is achievable.

Enjoy the rebuilt engine and 37mpg !!!

Thanks but as for 37mpg.....once she's been run in I can't see me getting that again. Lol!

Even if I had the skills to rebuild an engine, I'd still leave it to the pros. There would always be that nagging doubt in my mind that I hadn't done something quite right, or put a piston in back to front (yep, that is possible in the VR6!). And goes without saying, if you screw it up, there's zero recourse! You have to pay twice!

Anyway, the old girl looks in great shape! Are they Golf wheels?

Anyway, the old girl looks in great shape! Are they Golf wheels?

I bought them from VW classic parts a few years back, they were on the website as being Corrado wheels, I assume they must have been offered as an option at the time. They're genuine BBS and it was a complete nightmare finding the correct centre caps!

The speedlines that were on when I got her were knackered and I wanted to keep everything as genuine and original as I could.

Just noticed my lower windscreen trims are a bit knackered too, the never ending joys of ownership continue!

Just a quick update, I've nearly done the 500 miles running in, I've somehow resisted the temptation and taken it easy and she's booked in for the 500 mile service on Monday.

The fuel economy has stayed way above 30mpg despite the varied journeys and the engine note is now a lot throatier and consistent than it was before.

Once the service is completed on Monday I'm (really, really) looking forward to hearing her at the higher end of the rev range.

All systems seem to be go for Volksfest Wales on August 20th. I'd love to go to the Corrado National day instead but Brands is a long way from sunny Swansea and the kids aren't quite as entertained by the Corrado's new singing voice as I am!

Just to celebrate the first 500 miles I gave her a quick polish before the rain came back.725b742066e031ec69163c2b4c2c2755.jpg

Looking great and worthy of the Polish

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks, I was trying to decide whether or not to show her at Volksfest Wales on the 20th, still not sure?

I've just had the 500 mile service after cautiously running the Corrado in after her rebuild.

I drove carefully off the steep crossing outside the workshop and made my way gently back towards the A4232 heading towards the M4 and home.

At the onslip to the A4232 I thought "this seems a pretty good place to test the acceleration since the rebuild" and firmly planted my right foot into the carpet...

The noise that followed was nothing short of an automotive opera! The Corrado reached 70 mph in what felt like the blink of an eye and I eased off to cruise along at the speed limit, grinning to myself as I went.

I had a few more opportunities to push her hard at appropriate points in the ensuing journey home and each occasion was as much fun as the first!

Rebuild done and now well and truly tested I can safely say she feels much tighter, faster and healthier than at any point previous during our ownership and hopefully she's now ready for the next 24 years!