Simeon

VR6 Brake Compensator Valve - very little effort on rear brakes at MOT

Hi all, my VR has been parked up for some time and took it for an MOT yesterday and it failed on rear brakes.

I was a little concerned about the brakes since it had been sat, but jumped on them a few times on the way to the garage and all seemed ok. However, apparently there is very little rear braking on the foot pedal.

Whipped rear calipers off expecting them to be suffering as usual, but all seemed fine - wound out on the handbrake lever and wound back in fine with tool. Cleaned up and put back on.

Looked at the brake compensator and it was pretty solid, so I removed the bolt to the spring and worked it to free it off. It is now moving, but only if you put a little effort into it. Can anyone tell me how 'free' these should be when disconnected from the spring? Also, which way is open, fully pulled out towards the floor I thought since then the piston will be fully extended?

I'm loath to replace it unless I have to as they're 60 quid, plus I'd have to bleed the brakes :( but obviously need to get it fixed..

Edited by Simeon

The next time you go for an MOT put some weight in the boot to give more rear bias, the valve should free up with use, speed bumps will exercise it for you

Can't remember which orientation it is but if you lower the car it puts more braking force on the rear, presume yours is not lowered as mine used to try swap ends under hard braking after I lowered it. It needs to be as free as possible, cover it in WD40 and that should free it up a bit.

Thank you for the replies.

Good idea putting weight in the boot, thanks. Yeah I'll try WD40 tonight to see if it will free up some more. Might try bleeding the brakes too actually to check fluid is coming through OK, I've read that it's the same regardless of whether you have ABS - I was under the impression you needed to use VAGCom to bleed them

Thank you for the replies.

Good idea putting weight in the boot, thanks. Yeah I'll try WD40 tonight to see if it will free up some more. Might try bleeding the brakes too actually to check fluid is coming through OK, I've read that it's the same regardless of whether you have ABS - I was under the impression you needed to use VAGCom to bleed them

Not these badboys, just open the tap

If you jack up the car the axle will drop so you'll need to open up the compensator (use a cable tie or similar) to bleed them

Cool, good to know

If you jack up the car the axle will drop so you'll need to open up the compensator (use a cable tie or similar) to bleed them

Yep, just like on a Mk2, will do

Blathered it in WD40 last night, will see if I can free it off some more tonight.

I had that compensator valve replaced, and then it duly seized up again. What I used to do to get more life out of it, was periodically jack up, remove the counter spring, soak it in plus gas or something, and then whack the arm up with a hammer, pull it back down, rinse and repeat until it freed off. Worked for a while.

If the car is a keeper, it's worth upgrading to the OBD2 Golf ABS system as it does away with that stoooooooopid valve.

Well, got it freed off, bled the brakes and got fluid through, but only when the valve was fully pulled open.

Anyway, bolted it back to the spring and took it for an MOT ... nadda on the rear brakes. Handbrake was fine this time (I'd adjusted it) so we knew calipers were ok, so guys at the garage kindly played with the compensator for me. It went through the MOT in the end, but the compensator has been adjusted open as far as it will go on the elongated hole, so not in the best shape.

Guys at the garage said it may 'free up' with some use, but basically I should look to replace it over winter.

Anyway, another 12m ticket, happy days:) Thanks for comments and advice

If the car is a keeper, it's worth upgrading to the OBD2 Golf ABS system as it does away with that stoooooooopid valve.

yes, i took great pleasure in cutting mine off and smoothing off the rear beam :lol: