Dazz_G60_Wales

Strange intermittent rattle at top end G60 variable rpm

Sounds like a rod bearing to me. Hydraulic tappets, if failing, usually make a more constant timed rattle as it's obviously timed to the engine. Your rattle sounds a bit random which reminds me of early rod bearing failure. It's the number 4 conrod that is usually the most likely to go on these engines which would also make sense why it appears to be coming from the bottom right corner. Could be potentially being starved of oil as number 4 is the last of the rods to be fed off the crank. VW actually put double grooved main bearings in crank bearing 4 to help improve oil flow to conrod 4 and sometimes, if engine work has been carried out, these grooved main bearing are sometimes mixed up and some assume the double grooved main bearing are fitted to crank bearing 3 instead of 4, thus restricting oil flow and causing premature wear. I would pull the sump off and see if you can feel any play in conrod 4.

Sounds like a rod bearing to me. Hydraulic tappets, if failing, usually make a more constant timed rattle as it's obviously timed to the engine. Your rattle sounds a bit random which reminds me of early rod bearing failure. It's the number 4 conrod that is usually the most likely to go on these engines which would also make sense why it appears to be coming from the bottom right corner. Could be potentially being starved of oil as number 4 is the last of the rods to be fed off the crank. VW actually put double grooved main bearings in crank bearing 4 to help improve oil flow to conrod 4 and sometimes, if engine work has been carried out, these grooved main bearing are sometimes mixed up and some assume the double grooved main bearing are fitted to crank bearing 3 instead of 4, thus restricting oil flow and causing premature wear. I would pull the sump off and see if you can feel any play in conrod 4.
Cracking response Jamo and along the lines of what I thought i dont have anywhere i can get under the car so if anyone local wants to help I would be gratefull

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I'd be all over it if I was local, but I'm up in Scotland in the sticks unfortunately lol. As long as the crank isn't damaged it's not too bad a job for whoever is tackling it. Would be a matter of new rod bearings and rod bolts which can all be done from underneath with the sump off. However if the crank is damaged it's an engine out job. Crank would either need to be replaced or machined and oversize bearings fitted. Just sold a good crank for one of these last week too but hopefully you'll not need one.

She still runs well so think its still in the early stages and she has only done about 200 miles this year since the rattle so hopefully ok.

If i had a pit or access to a ramp i would be willing to give it a go also !

Diagnosing noises remotely is a big challenge.

If it was my car i'd be inclined to drop the supercharger drive belt and start the engine to check again. If the noise remains, as Jamo suggests, drop the sump and check rod end #4.

BTW - Did you get a stethoscope? They are an invaluable tool when tracking down the source of noises.

So are you thinking the rods now Mark ?

Hi,did the rod bearings fix this noise ? Mine makes exactly the same noise

Cheers

G60 rattle is usually the big end bearings, you can buy a set for £20 and fit them in a couple of hours, you only need to drop the sump and the oil pump :)