Dr Forinor

New toy

Corrado still SORN, unfortunately. But I have myself a new plaything :)

pdHUI4x.jpg?1

This is my 335d xDrive Touring, with adaptive suspension, and the uprated M Sport Brakes (though I don't really rate them all that highly - they will be getting replaced).

Already has been remapped to around 390bhp and 560lb/ft.

Next plans, to get AC Schnitzer springs to properly compliment the adaptive dampers. The xDrive cars come with SE Springs, not MSport (even though it may be an MSport Trim level). Will be changing to steel braided hoses later this year also.

Plans to also eventually upgrade the brakes, but then that should be it really.

Hope you all are well.

Very nice. I nearly brought one of them. Was going to to view a second time when my local Skoda dealer rang me to tell me about an Octavia VRS that had just arrived. More toys lower miles and cheaper so was no brainer really. Even if the bmw was a nice drive

Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying BMWs.

The Corrado had sent a benchmark for me in terms of drive feel/feedback. And since then I find it "awkward" (for want of a better word) to get into a car and drive it if it lacks feel, if it's numb. BMW are still one of the few manufacturers that make drivers cars. I do feel that they are going towards the "numb" drive compared to their earlier offerings, but it's still much better than most out there. The lovely engine (as far as diesels are concerned) is just another piece of the puzzle that completes the package for me, especially after being remapped.

Edited by Dr Forinor

Very nice. I recently got a 320i Touring MSport, similar colour, although it is the old shape (2010)

Great car, but so far much less reliable than my 20 years with VW's!

Nice! My mate recently bought a 320d touring in that colour with the 8 speed ZF. That thing is reasonably minty fresh with 180 odd hp, so yours must be like the entire box of tic-tacs in one mouthful! That is a lot of grunt!

I like the gearbox but I'm afraid the rest of it is all a bit too bland for me, even at my ripe old age......where ageing blokes usually swap coilovers and trainers for air suspension and slippers.

I don't know if you feel the same way, but I don't find the current BMWs to be as granite-like as the good old 90s BMWs. The engines are hugely better in the modern Bimmers though!

Kevin, I completely agree with you in regards to the blandness, but it's still the most exciting thing out of the current range of "sensible" estates that are available.

Any "flaws" (no real flaws as such) are easily forgotten when you put the foot down though, and all the toys make up for it too. Adaptive suspension, heads up display (with the speed limit display), Harmon Kardon speakers for my finely tuned ears, parking surround view with parking assist etc etc, all good stuff and makes this a great place to be in whether it's a back road or if I've got the family drive down to wherever.

It's a decent compromise let's say :)

It's certainly got all the right boxes ticked - 4WD, decent chassis, mega grunt in the engine room, practicality, decent stereo and BMWness. I hope you've put a 320d badge on it to upset the tailgating boy racers? :lol:

Stick some ProjectMU HC800 pads on it and that might sort the brakes in the interim, until you can find a tasty brake kit for it.

What's the most you can get out of that engine with sensible mods / outlay? Pretty incredible a 3 litre diesel engine is only 30hp shy of the E90 M3!!

I bought it with the xDrive and 335d badge on it, I debadged that quick smart haha!

ProjectMU HC800? Do tell me more? I was actually planning on getting Ferodo DS2500 pads? (An Alcon kit is £3k.... )

I actually don't know what the most you can out of it. Most people (from what I've seen on brief read of the BMW forums) settle for a Stage 2 remap, which isn't a whole lot more (about 20-30bhp?) than the Stage 1 that I have now. The funny thing is, the delivery is so linear & so smooth, you would never realise the real acceleration is more ferocious (for a 1700kg family estate) than your perception of it.

So what's your story with the Golf? I never in a million years imagined you getting rid of the Corrado?

Edited by Dr Forinor

That seems like a fairly significant increase.. as impressive as it is, I'd be worried about the longevity of the motor with those kinds of gains.

First mod;

Both of my previous BMWs have had the coin cubby holes beneath the light switch. This one didn't come with one, and it's almost mandatory for me, so obviously that had to be fixed. Asked BMW in Dundee and Aberdeen, both said it couldn't be retro fitted. Fine, I'll do it myself!!

Sorry about the crappy pictures.

cLM56iO.jpg

RHcmKl8.jpg

WgYkI8W.jpg

14kSzR7.jpg

HxUYDLv.jpg

df1KhiZ.jpg

Edited by Dr Forinor

I deliberately parked on the very other end of the Asda car park earlier today, where there was at least 5 parking spaces either side of me.

Come back to my car, lo and behold, someone parked in the very next space. What is the logic here?

rSEyd2W.jpg

I deliberately parked on the very other end of the Asda car park earlier today, where there was at least 5 parking spaces either side of me.

Come back to my car, lo and behold, someone parked in the very next space. What is the logic here?

rSEyd2W.jpg

Agreed. I just don't understand some people. Cracking car btw