DaveVR

New Corrado VR6 Owner - Questions!

Hi All,

I am new to Corrado ownership after buying a VR6 earlier this year. I had wanted one for years and finally found myself in a position where I had the space to keep one. It's a usable car that I intend to add to and get up to my standards gradually as I go.

After spending some time on the forum it has become apparent to me that there are multiple differences between the early and late models throughout which I did not know about when I bought the car. My car is a '95 model but after looking through some posts it appears to have a mis-match of early and late spec parts that I would like to sort out! Firstly the front bumper is an early version with the fogs sitting deeper into the recess but I'm not sure how far said miss-match goes which is where i need help!

My question is this... which parts on the front end are different and how do they differ? I know my bumper is wrong and so the fogs and indicators must be but what about my headlights, front wings, slam panel, bonnet etc? I am in need of new lights and a slam panel anyway but wondered if you need to have all matching parts to make it work. All very confusing!

Thanks in advance and hopefully a couple of pics of the car are attached to this post!

Your headlights should have the E code inscribed on the lenses , earlier lights will have EEE inscribed on them. Have a look in the search for early/ late differences , reference to the wings .

Edited by robrado974

What's your dashboard look like. What's the cars manufacture date as opposed to registration number.

L was round about change over date for vr6. So if it was an early m plate the bumper could be right if the car was registered late.. about this time they used a mismatch of early and late parts in a Vr.

It's got the right chin spoiler which is 90 mm they changed it to 50 mm on a n plate.

Late wings have more of a bulge on the arch profile, to suit the slightly wider track of late plus suspension. Early wings are a bit flatter. Difficult to tell the difference from photos but you might be able to work it out if you look at some pics taken from the front of car/looking down/along the wings.

Your headlights look correct, late ones were flush to the wings/bonnet edge. Grille is correct.

Seems odd that an M plate would have early parts, my old K plate G60 had late bonnet/wings/bumper/headlights/grille/fogs. I'd say the bumper has been replaced incorrectly.

Nice colour/wheels combo by the way.

I think it's whatever was in the parts bin at the time as my 93/K has mostly late psrts, late shape interior, lights/fogs etc.

On early bumpers the swage line curls upwards to the wheel arch lip, late the line continues straight.

Late parts are harder to find in VGC, check the chassis legs for previous frontal damage, I presume you've done a HPI check?

Thanks for the responses. It is a strange one but I was hoping it was just a case of the bumper having been replaced at some point with an early version. The car has had paintwork done in the past but no obvious signs of major damage thus far. HPI was clear when I bought it but again that doesn't mean it hasn't had work done off the books. I will have a closer look at the parts and try to get some better pics of the front end.

In terms of the interior, it has light coloured cloth interior without the hump in the rear bench. I am unsure on the dash board and what to look for regarding early/late differences.

Dox - you're right, most parts seem to be early versions. I would be quite happy with a bumper that needs paint as long as it isn't cracked and I can find good lights for it!

Thanks for the compliments. It cleans up well but could be better in areas if you are up close. I like the wheels but they are cheap replicas so will be looking to upgrade to something a bit more special in the future.

BTW complete newbie question coming up but what colour is the car? Is it Midnight Blue? In the sun light its blue but almost looks black in certain lights.

Thanks for the responses. It is a strange one but I was hoping it was just a case of the bumper having been replaced at some point with an early version. The car has had paintwork done in the past but no obvious signs of major damage thus far. HPI was clear when I bought it but again that doesn't mean it hasn't had work done off the books. I will have a closer look at the parts and try to get some better pics of the front end.

In terms of the interior, it has light coloured cloth interior without the hump in the rear bench. I am unsure on the dash board and what to look for regarding early/late differences.

Dox - you're right, most parts seem to be early versions. I would be quite happy with a bumper that needs paint as long as it isn't cracked and I can find good lights for it!

Thanks for the compliments. It cleans up well but could be better in areas if you are up close. I like the wheels but they are cheap replicas so will be looking to upgrade to something a bit more special in the future.

BTW complete newbie question coming up but what colour is the car? Is it Midnight Blue? In the sun light its blue but almost looks black in certain lights.

Colour code on the sticker inside the rear boot... or in your logbook.