millar11

Respray advice

Evening all,

Thinking this year I'm going to pull my finger out and get my cars finished. One of them is my corrado vr6,

The car needs a full respray and I want to do it right. What seals etc are a definite for needing replaced if you go full respray?

Any other things that will be needed?

Thanks

Millar

Door handle, wing mirror and window scraper seals almost certainly. I also replaced the door and boot seals, as well as the sunroof seal but you may get away with that. If the windows are coming out, provided the person removing them is careful the quarter windows and rear screen should be ok. The windscreen seal (especially the outer) may well need changing if its been replaced in the past, as dodgy fitters usually just dump a ton of sealer around and stick everything back in with that. The list can go on and on though. I spent close to the respray cost on bits and pieces like this to make the finish as good as possible. Pointless forking out for shiny paint when your badges are worn and seals dull and faded etc etc........

It depends a lot on how deep your pockets are, I bought them all and spent a fortune to find some were unnecessary when I looked at them. The new boot seal and sunroof seal look hardly any different, the door seals however looked very tired where the kids had stood on them climbing into the back. Passenger window scraper seals seem to be obsolete so do take great care removing them (there are videos on YouTube demonstrating how to) I didn’t take care and ended up buying a complete passenger door off eBay just for the seal!

If you’re careful you can remove just about anything without breaking, do as much as you can upfront and box everything up carefully to save body shop hours if possible. Buy some Auto Finesse Revive and set about all the black plastics and seals while they’re off the car, it works wonders.

I removed the windscreen trims before getting the screen removed as they were unavailable at the time, and in doing so cracked the screen which cost another two hundred quid, I have seen trims for sale recently though so they’re probably worth investing in.

Nothing much else broke as I remember, everything was fairly substantial.

Cheers. I will start to invest in some seals etc over next couple of months and see how I get on.

Best place to buy seals?

VW Heritage have most parts but if they don't list them, give em a ring as they get them direct from VW Classic Parts so may be able to assist in getting them for you.