1200 bandit

Will it ever end

Over the winter have replaced the brakes all around all the suspension fix lots of wiring fitted alarm now runs really well

Nice day today I thought l go out and about,got adout 0.5 miles and the engine oil light flashing.Drive back turn of engine and restart the engine no light flashing,let engine idle for 20 minuets all ok incense revs to 2,500 RPM light flashing

No noise from the engine,oil is new (had the sump off over the winter for a oil leak)

Lower part of engine is spotless,removed the wiring to the 2 switchs the light flashing at 2,500 RPM ,oil temperature is about 75/80 degree which one is the oil pressure switch ,one wire is yellow ,one blue/black

When carry out oil pressure check what pressure switch is removed to check oil pressure

Thanks in advance for any information

Have been looking for information on oil pressure switches,The information l have found is there are 2 oil pressure switchs one low one high pressure.l am right in thinking that the switches are on the oil filler housing,is the low pressure switch at the front

Am right in thinking that the oil pressure switches are different,looking on eBay and can’t see the difference between low and high pressure switches

If the oil light comes on at 2,500RPM the high pressure switch is faulty???

Edited by 1200 bandit

Both are low pressure switches.

One low pressure up to 2200 RPM

One low pressure over 2200 RPM

If you remove them and clean the hex with scotchbrite you'll see the values of the sensors printed on them.

Have a read through the post at the link below which covers the replacement of both switches. Pretty sure I still have the spanner ......... give me a shout if you need it and it's yours FOC as my Corrado is long gone.

I've had a few random oil warning light and beeper episodes recently. Normal oil and water temperatures and lack of odd noises led me to suspect that perhaps the two switches on top of the oil filter housing were on their way out. A quick look down the back of the radiator revealed that oil was acually seeping out of the top of the high pressure switch so I decided to replace both the high and low pressure switches. Both can be found on the top of the oil filter housing. The high pressure swith, on the left as you look at it, has a black top, a single spade connector and a yellow wire attached to it. The low pressure switch,on the right, has a blue top, a single spade connector and a blue wire. Access is severely limited, but on Fla's advice I removed the driver side headlamp (three screws and one connector) and that lets you get your arm in and straight at the switches. You will need a 24mm spanner and a short one is ideal. Not a too many people will have one, but luckily I found an old 15/16ths imperial ring spanner in my collection and shortened it to around 150mm. It was then only a question of removing the wires, screwing the old switches out and the new ones in. Replace the wires and the headlight and it's job done. It took less than 30 mins and the two new genuine switches cost around £30 from TPS although they can be had much cheaper on e-bay............... no warning lights during a 10 mile test drive so hopefully that's that.

Edited by leon263

Thanks for the information forgot to say that it is a 2.0 16 v 9 A engine thanks for the offer of the spanner (very easy to get to on a 9A engine)

Have removed the switches the front switch is dark brown Possible black with a blue/black wire.The rear switch is white with a yellow wire l think the wiring is correct as this just started

Can not see any information on the switches

Had a look on VW Heritage for oil pressure switches part numbers 028919081D , 05691908E are they the correct ones

Once again thanks for the information

From memory I think one should be a low pressure switch and the other a high pressure switch. I had a quick look on e-bay and the two below seem to match that criteria, match your existing colours and be for your engine. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT HOWEVER , MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-53I-2-0i-16V-1-53-1-93-Genuine-Intermotor-Oil-Pressure-Switch/291703088723?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-53I-2-0i-16V-0-15-0-43-Genuine-Intermotor-Oil-Pressure-Switch/301892200038?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The switches will be different. But I can’t help with numbers. Have you tried ringing the dealer. If anything it’s worth doing just in case they still do them to hear what crazy price they want for them.

Just got the 2 oil switchs from vw heritage,fitted the switches no oil light at 2,500 RPM

Nice easy fix ,roll on the next problem

Start up the engine last night ok for a bit then the oil light flashing

Tonight carried out oil pressure checks

Rear oil pressure reading are ,oil temperature 88 dregs,water temperature 70 dregs,RPM 800 1.2 BAR,RPM 3,000 4.2 BAR

Front oil pressure reading are,oil temperature 98 dregs,water temperature 70 dregs,RPM 800 1.5 BAR,RPM 3,000 5.5 BAR

Are the reading correct,also when thr wiring not fitted the oil light flashing

Also will post this on Facebook as l can load photos

Start up the engine last night ok for a bit then the oil light flashing

Tonight carried out oil pressure checks

Rear oil pressure reading are ,oil temperature 88 dregs,water temperature 70 dregs,RPM 800 1.2 BAR,RPM 3,000 4.2 BAR

Front oil pressure reading are,oil temperature 98 dregs,water temperature 70 dregs,RPM 800 1.5 BAR,RPM 3,000 5.5 BAR

Are the reading correct,also when thr wiring not fitted the oil light flashing

Also will post this on Facebook as l can load photos

I replied in your other thread, which cointains less information. Those values look within reason. You have over a bar of pressure at 800 rpm from the low pressure switch (on the side of the clyinder head?) which is good.

My suggestion would be now you've replaced the switches to check the wiring. Its highly possible that one of the wires could be broken or have corrosion from water that has been drawn inside the sheathing by capilliary action.

your reply says that the low pressure switch is on the side of the clylinder head is this the one under the dizzy,as l have been checking the 2 switches on the oil filter housing