carrots

alternator problem

my alternator is charging 13.21v load off ,12.92v load on.ive checked the earth lead and positive lead which look fine.i took the brushes out tonight they are worn but have a little life left.the commutator has bad grooves worn into one side of it.is it worth fitting new brushes with the worn commutator.also theres no battery light with ignition on and car not running.cheers

Look in the rectifier assembly! There should six diodes In there. Sounds to me like your rectifier is not doing its job transferring a/c volts to d/c volts which is your output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by markcunningham

More common is the blue "exciter wire" which runs from the battery to the regulator and provides its reference voltage is getting bad. It only takes this wire going a bit high resistance and the regulator no longer knows what voltages to apply. When it gets really bad you'll find it stops charging full stop, and the battery light on the dash stays on even when the engine is running.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Not sure which wire you mean.ive cleaned the main live that comes from starter to alternator and tested it for breaks inside.when you remove the regulator there's are no wires to it.its held on with 2 screws

Because the wire is connected to the alt. On its own small post, there's normally an 8mm nut securing the blue wire's terminal.

Seeing as there's no red charge light visible on the dash, I'm betting the alternator is buggered..

13.2 is only a little bit low, it's enough to charge the battery, hence no light on the dash.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Where are you based? Ive got a 70A alternator which was working as far as i remember. If you're nearby you're welcome to try it. If it solves the problem you can then pay for it. Just a thought. I'm in NW London.

Thanks for the offer but I am in north Wales.i bought a delco remy unit today so might fit it at weekend but I've got beer drinking to do lol.so it might have to wait