_Matt_

Sunroof mech - bust on replacing panel :(

Hi guys,

Car is in for work at the bodyshop - one of the jobs was to repair a patch of rust on the sunroof - however now it's all done the roof won't retract on one side. The bodyshop tried to fabricate something to fix but failed (not sure what they are talking about as I haven't seen it in the flesh). They had to remove the roof to paint/fix it so assume something has snapped whilst it is all going back together.

They are suggesting sourcing a replacement mechanism - thought i'd ask on here if there were any other tips or solutions like a refurbishment kit or something?

Ahhh I was hoping to get it back as it's been gone for over a month so far :(

Cheers

Matt

Edited by pfnsht

Some more info - sounds like it's one of the little wheels on that hammer mechanism. They tried 3d printing a replacement part but it has not worked and something is dislodged further back (can't be seen as the headlining is still in place).

Have you done a search for Corrado sunroof!? You'll see they're very common failure points, repair kits are long time obsolete and even replacement mechanisms in working order and like rocking horse **** and will cost you about 200 notes if you ever so manage to find a working second hand one. The wheel you mention can be swapped out with one from quite a few vag group cars of the same era, but they may also be in a poor state now. I'd definitely say to remove the whole mech as any further damage could cause big scratches in your nice new paint if attempting to move it when in place. I'd be insisting that the body shop sort and source as they've caused the damage

Yeah I know it's a common problem, I have managed to source one for ~200 so it sounds a good buy. I was just wondering if there was a quicker cheaper solution but guess not.

It's a shame they didn't drop the original one out rather than removing the panel for painting with the mech in situ. They thought they were saving removing the headlining and keeping costs down for me but unfortunately it has now gone the other way.

I'm in 2 minds about who pays, yes they broke it but it's an old car and things will break when it's being dismantled. It could have been on it's last legs for all I knew. I'll be happy and expect them to pass on the labour charges to refit it - they haven't mentioned any for this and given me the price anyway.

The panel itself is only held on by four screws, two each side. It's unlikely the mechanism broke by removing it as you would simply put the roof into tilt position and undo. It might just have been about to go anyway.

Be very careful with the replacement - I've seen them go straight away, so it's best to make sure everything works before going to all the trouble of the labour required to fit it. Often the second hand ones have been left sitting around for so long that the first time you try to retract them the left hand slider/cable stop snaps - which is most likely what has happened to yours, as well as the little wheel breaking.

I'd recommend putting it on a bench, removing the panel and then giving everything a really good clean and lube, and then wind the motor manually with an allen key to ensure everything works as it should. If you feel the slightest bit of resistance when retracting the panel, stop immediately and check everything again.

Thank you for the tips! I shall duly pass this on to them. I'm slightly worried even after spending the money on a replacement I'll still end up without a working sunroof and having just spent money tidying the car up I'll have probably lost all that value with a broken sunroof!

If the spare works, just spends an afternoon stripping it and then lubricating as previously suggested. That time and effort will ensure it won't let you down.

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just been to my local scrappy and there's an R reg Polo with manual glass sunroof and a T reg Lupo with an electric glass sunroof. Does anyone know if these fit the Corrado or if any of the parts are the same

Thanks

Just seen on facebook that the mk3 golf mech and Passat B3 glass roof combo would work as a replacement if anyone else is looking for options.