Goldie

Rear Suspension problem

Fixed.

Rear brake caliper to carrier bolts loose, hand tight passenger side and not much better drivers side. Both rear axle bushes not tight enough.

I have checked and re-torqued every bolt. Lesson here is double check everything and then check it again.

That’s weird, as I remember very well us tightening these all up to the correct torque at the time they were fitted? Or I should say, I remember you doing them all and no way you put them together without checking they were done up correctly?

That’s weird, as I remember very well us tightening these all up to the correct torque at the time they were fitted? Or I should say, I remember you doing them all and no way you put them together without checking they were done up correctly?

I know mate. I remember hanging off the tongue wrench. Maybe it is due to the components being painted. Same principle when you have wheels refurbed you should check the torque settings of the bolts after a while.

Anyway, I'm just glad to get to the bottom of it and know all is ok. I enjoyed stopping the boot out, removing both rear interior panel trims, the back seats, both suspension legs along the way. Its all part of the fun. Bloody Corrados.

Fixed.

Rear brake caliper to carrier bolts loose, hand tight passenger side and not much better drivers side. Both rear axle bushes not tight enough.

I have checked and re-torqued every bolt. Lesson here is double check everything and then check it again.

Update on my issue which might help others - checked everything including removing and stripping rear suspension strut, last thing to look at was axle bush - guess what!! Needed only perhaps one full turn to tighten but that solved it.

Update on my issue which might help others - checked everything including removing and stripping rear suspension strut, last thing to look at was axle bush - guess what!! Needed only perhaps one full turn to tighten but that solved it.

Result. Those axle bush bolts should be 60Nm.

Big shout to the guys at The Phirm, finally worked out what my clonk noise was...

Really simple, when the exhaust was cold there were no problems, but as the exhaust got hot and expanded it moved backwards and started banging up against the 13mm nut on the clamp (see photo). The solution was to move the exhaust back a little bit and reclamp, which has stopped the clonk noises - winner!!

Edited by vr6monkey

Yep, exactly the same, a fairly solid 'clonk' noise.

Can't think what else it can be - I've emptied the boot area and it definitely comes from passenger side at the back. Never seem to get clonk noise when driving in a straight line, which is why I wonder if it is the rear beam under load on corners, combined with the suspension compressing for a bump in the road?

I'd be interested in any other theories.

This may help someone else

Had a knock,cluck interment sound like it was coming from the rear,Checked every nut bolt on the rear.

Found the bolts on the front crossmember where not secure (previous owner)

Secure the bolts knocking has stopped,Don't wish jix it but the corrado has running,driving sweet over the summer (only done 350 miles)